Re: rod inside another rod, how to centre?

Not sure I understand, but if you create the small rod as a middle plane extrusion, then you can use the natives planes to add a constraint, to the
center of the big rod, for example.
HIH JM

(perpendiculer
deep
in
move
move
assembly to

This is an assembly drawing using two parts (rods in this case).
____ I I I I Part1 I I I I 10mm di x 100mm long rod I I with 4.1mm diameter through I I hole, 4mm from one end of the rod to hole centre I 0 I I_i_i_I
__________________ Part2 I__________________I 4di x 85mm long rod rod to go into 4.1mm "through" hole
_____ I I I I I I I I this is what I want I I I I ___________I I___________ I ___________I I___________I <> centrally fixed I____I
_____ I I I I I I I I but at the moment it can move either way through the hole I I <<< <<< I I >>>>>>> _____I I___________ I ____ I I___________I I____I
_____ I I I I I I I I <<<<<<<<< I I >>>>>>>>>>>> I I ___________I I____ I ___________I I____I I____I
hope this is clearer
As Jean Marc said, you will need to use the planes of the parts to mate limit the linear travel.
What version of SWX are you using? I could send you an example.
Can you not make it a sub assembly with a fixed constraint then bring it into your overall assembly?
Todd Anderson

(perpendiculer
deep
in
move
move
assembly to

DONE IT!
The trick was to extrude the 4mm rod from the centre as mentioned. but to add a contraint between the ORIGIN of the 4mm rod and the temp axis of the 10mm rod. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction. :-))
posting from google sucks. I posted to this a few hours ago and now the problem has been answered 8 times and My post still hasn't shown up @2:34 CST so my typing is all for naught. God Help GOOGLE groups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UGGGGHHHHHHAAAAAA
Corey
Corey,
You need to get you a NG server. I use Outlook Express to view this NG but I use this NG server http://news.cis.dfn.de/ you have to register and get a reader. Once setup you can view this NG Dynamically and it's fast and free.
Regards, Scott
CST so my typing is all for naught. God Help GOOGLE

Just create a plane in the center of the pin and use that to mate it. Planes come in very handy for this stuff...
TT
One way is to constuct the 4mm rod by extruding a 4mm circle using midplane extrude. If the circle was constructed on the front plane then the front plane would be in the middle of the 4mm rod. In the assembly set the view for temporary axis, then select the axis of the 100mm rod and the front plane of the 4mm dia rod. you can then constrain the axis to the plane. the 4mm rod will still be able to spin in its hole. If you want a further constaint, then select the top plane of the 4mm rod and the axis of the 100 mm rod and constrain them to be parralel. The are lots of of other ways to do it also.