Re: Vista upgrade fun

I wonder why it is that it wants to find XP (or Vista) on the drive. If XP was activated on that machine, then it seems that MS should have all your hardware IDs in an XP activation database. Find those IDs and see if XP was ever activated on that machine, instead of making users do this idiotic double install.

Any theories why it might work this way? I doubt it's simple antagonism toward users, but it sure looks like laziness or incompetence, or leverage to sell licenses other than the cheaper upgrade license.

I wonder if SW runs on Cedega.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

In my mind this is one more step for MS to have their software married to a computer from birth to death. It won't be long and we will be paying by the month for the privilege of having an operating system. No way it could be too hard to allow users to enter in the COA from their previous OS (a step above asking for the previous OS CD as in days of old) instead of having to install over the top of the old OS. Your idea is even better than entering the old COA, it should be able to go online and find out. Keep in mind I installed Vista over the top of an unactivated Vista and was then able to activate it. Asinine.

Reply to
Brad