SheetMetal Edge Flange

Is it possible to link the dimension for the length. I can't get it to show up in the graphics window to do this, like I always do with other features only the angle shows up. Is there another way to link this dimension. SW

2003 SP4.1

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

My first guess is that when you created the flange, you tied it to the whole edge, rather than shortening it, therefore there isn't a length dimension. Or am I waaaaay out in space?? :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You can edit the flange profile and dimension the sketch as you normally would. This will give you a dimension to link to.

HTH, Leo Hursh Escofab Inc.

Reply to
Leo Hursh

I did tie it to the edge but I am not worried about the edge length just the distance up from the origional edge. Looks like Leo has got it.

Thanks Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Thats what I was looking for, it seems lik they should have added that dimension instead of leaving the sketch unconstrained. Works though.

Thanks Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Damn right they shoulda'. I've been puzzled why they do that for a long time -- doesn't make sense.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Second that....

Reply to
Jam4brainz

Wild-ass guess: it makes demos run faster?

Actually, I can't imagine it would make any difference; I'm just engaging in some useless cynicism.

Jerry Steiger (who wishes the features he had in 2001+ worked faster and better) Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Hi Sporkman-

I 177th that. I also like the fact that the "sides" of the flange sketch show as black (constrained) but they are still draggable, kind of like a "soft contraint".

While understanding the valid logic behind this, I'm betting that this might anguish the neophyte (choose another color for soft contstraints SW).

The really good news is that if one is bothered by this, then the "edit flange profile" is being used insted of taking cuts after the fact, which is possibly pure evil.

(but after all, most of this sheet metal stuff is only 80% implemented anyways so why should I complain when they miss many of the fine points?)

Regards-

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams