Solidworks access outlook?

Why does Solidworks try to access microsoft outlook?

Reply to
dlevy

It's probably trying to send performance email. If you don't want it to do that, go to Tools/Options/System Options/General and uncheck "Enable performance email".

SolidWorks claims that it is helpful to them to get the performance email, so I leave it enabled. Many people don't.

Jerry Steiger

What does that mean? Any use for it?

Reply to
dlevy

Performance Email

Reply to
CS

Thanks.

Reply to
dlevy

It is for the benefit of SolidWorks corporation, though they use it to give you a 'trickle-down' benefit.

They find out some details of your system (but not in a creepy big-brother way... its more a 'hey, this is a popular video card... better check that it works with SolidWorks and iclude it in our testing systems!' way), and I believe there is some capacity to get crash information and data on how you are using SolidWorks. I have been told that they use this data and combine it with what they get from other folks to get a sense of what the general user base is doing, how they are set up, and identify general problems they are having. I have also been told it is received anonymously, but I really don't care a lot about that.

If you opt out, your data cannot be included. We figure that it can only help us, so why not? (Actually, if our office were part of a small minority providing performance emails, our problems would show up in larger proportion and get priority treatment... so I guess it is against my interest to advise anyone to turn it on :)

-Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Thanks. I turned it off.