SW and other AV programs (non-Norton)

hey all.

i know SW and NortonAV don't play nice together, and was wondering what other's use for AV programs.

Specifically, I'm looking for an AV program to put on a RedHat9.0 server, where the SW files will be stores (SAMBA).

I know of these:

-AVG Linux Server

-ClamAV

I know there's others.

what (if any) are you or others using? and how much do they affect SW (if at all)?

thx, john

Reply to
Nick E.

google this group. numerous reports of SW not liking SW. It's why I stopped using it and started using AVG.

--nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Why do you say SW & Norton don't play nice togethor?

All I've ever heard was that you had to make sure Norton was off during install; been using the combo for several years now without problem.

Reply to
Michael

me too.

Reply to
Rocko

a typo, I know, but sort of a Freudian one, given recent SP's....

Reply to
Michael

We use eTrust InoculateIT and we have had problems only related to having it on durring install.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

No problems here with NAV, ever, including on our server which stores the SW files. If it makes you feel better you can configure the server AV program to not monitor SW specific folders, data files, etc. just as you can on the machines actually running SW. But from my experience, it doesn't seem to make much difference either way, as to performance, etc.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

What SW doesn't like about Norton, it doesn't like about any AV app.

Three things to remember:

-turn it off when you install (not just SW but anything)

-don't allow it to scan everything that moves (saved and opened files) unless you work hourly and get paid overtime

-forgot the third thing to remember

matt

Reply to
matt

How about

-Set it so that it never scans any SW files so far you don't have to worry about them.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I use AVG ever since someone first told me about it, and I love it.

I even paid for the "pro" edition which lets you schedual updates and scans. I've never had a problem that I'm aware of between SW and AVG.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Reply to
Sporkman

We use F-Prot (on Redheat and Windows) and it protects our systems quite well.

D. Short

Nick E. wrote:

Reply to
D. Short