SW API Macro Programmers--SW World 2005 Presentation posted

Those of you who dabble in the SolidWorks API may be interested in this. I just posted the presentation I did at SW World last week for download. The topic may appeal to a somewhat narrow segment of the SolidWorks community, but I figured this is the place to find that segment. It's really not targeted at those just beginning to play with the API, but more for those who have been doing it a while and want to take it to the next level. It's posted without guarantees, tech support, etc., etc. But go ahead and download if you think it will be useful to you.

Thanks to those of you who came to the presentation. You may also want to download, since the version that will be coming out on the conference CD is missing some of the tweaks and additions that came after the submission deadline. (Just couldn't resist!)

The presentation is on

and is accessible via the "Download" button next to "SolidWorks World 2005 Presentation".

The description of the content is as follows: Shows how to take SolidWorks Macro programming beyond the beginner stage with some powerful programming techniques not often taught in beginning programming references. Topics include using the FileSystemObject to move and copy files along with the SW API to properly Re-reference them. The presentation also shows how to add Common dialogs through the Windows Shell and Windows API, since Common Dialogs are not included in the SW VBA toolbox. Finally, an introduction to Regular Expressions provides some ultra-powerful string matching capabilities that will make your code compact and efficient. Download includes Powerpoint presentation with extensive notes, as well as screen-capture movie segments to illustrate.

Thanks again to those of you who came and offered your own contributions to the discussion!

Brenda D. Bosley CustomSolids

Reply to
customsolids

I appreciate it Brenda Downloading now Thank you for sharing with those of us who couldn't make it.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Thanks, I'll add this to my reading list along with Ed's stuff.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

The evidence of your knowledge on the subject is quite well expressed in your Propa-Gator product. Thanks for your contribution.

Kent

Reply to
KCS Company

Got it. I did a bit more reading on the Regular Expressions, and now will try to remember to use them next time. Thanks.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You're welcome! Hope it's helpful.

--Brenda

Reply to
customsolids

After a slow, but not entirely unprofitable, start on Monday your session was a big plus.

Reply to
P.

How to open the swf files?

Reply to
P.

OK Brenda I already had use for the Regular Expressions. It works great opens up a whole new world.

Corey

Reply to
CS

The html/swf files should have unzipped into a sub-folder named "Supporting Files". If they are there, the hyper-links on the Powerpoint slides should launch them. (I haven't tested it on a non-IE browser, tho.) The .swf files are flash files and should load automatically in the .html files of the identical name.

B.

P. wrote:

Reply to
customsolids

Pretty useful once you know about 'em! Funny-looking, but powerful.

-Brenda

Reply to
customsolids

Brenda could you help me out. I have run into a bit of a problem and was wondering if you could help me around it.

The situation Creating a VBA program for AutoCAD 2000. All I really want to do is use the Split function but it isn't available in the version of VBA that AutoCAD 2000 attaches to it's Macros. I tried to switch the reference to a current version of VBA but it won't allow me to remove the reference. So I decided to try Regular Expressions. I include the vbscript.dll and it comes up as Microsoft VBScript Global. and dosen't seem to have a reference to Regular Expressions. Though it does have a call to Split but I can't instantiate the GlobalObj to get to it. I tried using New and Createobject but can't figure out what the class name is to do this.

Please help.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Corey,

Sorry...didn't see your question right away.

I'm actually not all that familiar with working in the AutoCAD VBA development environment, although I've done some things with the ACad API from an external application.

VBScript Global is NOT the reference you want, even tho both may be in the same file. You do want one that says "Regular Expressions" in the name. Seems strange that it wouldn't show up in the available references. As I remember there were some non-standard quirks in the Acad API calls as well.

If all you're really after is a split function, can you do a work-around with a function that parses off each segment and returns an array or collection of the segments? (Let me know if this needs further explanation)

Good Luck! Brenda

CS wrote:

available in

GlobalObj to

powerful.

Reply to
customsolids

Thanks Brenda I could figure that out I was just being lazy. In my own wierd way.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Well Brenda, what can I say, thanks is a start.. Well couldn't go this Year to the conf. Would have been nice to attend your session. Downloading now, I know the presentation will make me see other dimensions.

Thanks again.

/Mike

Reply to
Michael Svensson