SW NOT PROVEN AT ALL - LARGE ASSYS

I would have thought this information would be easy to find, but i has been quite the ordeal. I relates to the handling of large assy in SW. We have a large assembly line with roughly 100 000 parts about 60 000 non-fasteners and roughly 30 000 unique components. W are seriously considering SW, but have seen no proof that SW ca handle assemblies of this size. I understand proper assy practice need to be used and very powerful computers are required, but I hav never heard of anything close to even 30 000 components

SW has shown close to 10 000 part assemblies in demos and claim the

can do more, but there is a lot of talk about headaches people ar having with large assys in SW on forums such as these. So what I? asking is this

1) Can you refer me to any companies that are designing very larg

assys with SW

2) Is the SW engine inherently limited in handling large assys b design (i.e. will the program grind to a halt at a certain point) 3) Isn?t managing the simplified versions of parts and sub-assy difficult and doesn?t it introduce additional potential for errors

We are considering Catia as well, but are worried it is overkill fo

the machine design we?re doing. I?m interested in hearing you experiences

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Em

Gosh what product has soooo many parts ?

sounds like it may be ripe for a bit of simplification ;-)

Reply to
HumanAmp

I have limited experience with SolidWorks but from what I?ve rea about the program and from what limited experience I have wit SolidWorks - and what I know about Catia, go for Catia - it?s no overkill for what you want.

Yes SolidWorks is an easier program to use. And yes you?ll need t

spend more for Catia ? and a computer to run it ? however you?ll sav time and avoid so many migraine headaches. So if you can afford th initial investment - don?t mess around. You have too many parts

Boeing puts an entire airplane in Catia - or so says the co-worke

that used to work at Boeing ? yet we struggle with a thousand parts True the fasteners are parametric files not solid bodies, the Phili headed screws have every slot in them and the star lock washers hav every detail on them, a lot could be done to simplify the files.

Yet what do you want? Your half a football size machine to be mad

from simple cubes and rectangles? Don?t get me wrong I actually lik SolidWorks - but even the most fanatic user has to admit the progra has its limitations

Reply to
YACOLT

The product is a paper moulding machine that is about the size of hal a football field. It does require some simplification, henc purchasing the 3D package

What are the largest assemblies anyone has seen modeled and modifie

easily in SW

Reply to
Em