I downloaded it so long ago, that I forgot there will be CDs coming. I've
installed it parallel to 05 and already done a project in it. No new major
gotchas for me. Not that I haven't logged SPRs for Sp0.0. Just nothing
No. Not until December or after the first SP, whichever comes first.
I was a beta '06 tester; some good improvements and generally little
conversion errors compared to the '03 to '04 and '04 to '05 conversions.
Dale Dunn wrote in
I forgot, thare is a nasty issue with the SW BOM and item numbers, where a
component appears once for each subassembly referencing it in a parts only
BOM. This may not be new with 06, since this is my first serious attempt to
use the SW BOM since 04.
I am the test monkey here, and I have around 8 -10 crashes a day working
with an assembly done in 05, if I re mate any hardware (bolts nuts...)
but seems if I get rid of all the hardware all is good. Big
inconvenience I would send in a fix it request but I cannot pin it down
yet to one problem. Maybe its just my crap machine, had similar issues
with 2005 but just not as often
I work todwn most of the time and 06 seems t work great. Some of the
new workflows are really robust.
A coworker of mine, and former keynote speaker at SWXwrld, removed his
06 in disgust. He also had the same issues of mates not working and
large assemblies wigging out. He experienced 6-8 crashes in an
afternoon, and went back to 05
Perhaps I am a glutton for punishment and have learnt how to be kind to
Solidwrks so it doesnt crash.
I did two mold designs in 2006 sp0.0. They are both sitting with the feature
tree lit up with errors. I'd open it up the next day, fix the errors, then
later on after a regen all of the same errors come back.
I've given up on 2006 also until some bugs are fixed. The major one seems to
deal with derived/base parts. If I mate anything to a derived part, the
mates are lost at some point later, don't know what's causing it. It seems
like the internal face ID's of a derived part are being lost during a
regeneration and then the component that is mated to it doesn't have a face
to be mated to anymore. The same is true if you do any external references
to an edge or face of a derived part.
SW 2004 sp0 had a simular problem with loosing mates when you used start
parts. I had a huge project junk out on me. I kept loosing all my mates
and couldn't figure out why.
I'm currently crashing 2006, 6-10 times a day. I have my peformance e-mail
turned on, but think I might shut if off, because I'm sick of the time it's
taking sending out all them perforance emails everytime I restart it. I
like the features in 2006 but I'm running into a lot of bugs.
Boy that's a real show-stopper for me. Base parts are at the very root of
how I do my mold designs. Thanks for posting this and also for getting out
front and being brave enough to even try to do your job with sp0.
I'm glad I was the only one in our shop to try sw2006. I didn't convert any
of our library files so we are continuing to use sw2005 except for these 2
I recall this issue happening on another sp0 release like abc mentioned.
I'll take his word for it that it was sw2004.
This gets a bit off-topic, but brings up a question I've been wondering
about from time to time. I remember hearing somewhere that there are 2
different development teams at SW. While team 1 was working on SW2004 and
then cleaning up bugs with sp's ; team 2 will be beginning the development
of SW2005. And so on.
If that's the case, then similar sp0 problems could crop up in alternate
releases because of the way that each team operates. Not really relevent to
much of anything but I figured we needed another conspiracy theory.