Temp File ~$ Locations

Ok, I know that the only way to turn off the ~$ temp files is to turn off the option to view hidden files in M$ Winblows Explorer. But is there maybe a way to tell Solidworks where you want these ~$ temp files to reside? Like maybe in a temp folder? EX: C:\temp I couldn't find anything in the FIle Location options dialog box.

Just a thought, Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

They reside where you open the files. That's the way it has always been, and as far as I know there is no way to change that location. For the most part they disappear when close the files. If you crash, then that is when those files stay.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

The files contain the name of the user that opened the file. They need to be in the folder where the solidworks file is in order for SolidWorks to be able to tell you who has the file open. They would serve no purpose that I can think of if they were in a separate folder and the file names might conflict with each other. Now, if you are not using a network, then perhaps an option to not create them at all might be a nice option to have. Just because of this temp file annoyance, I usually turn off the option to view hidden files and folders unless I am going to do some folder cleanup in Explorer or something. It would be nice if they sorted to the bottom of the list instead of the top.

--Mark

Reply to
Mark Reimer

Scott,

mine won't disappear even after the file is closed; even after a different session.

they tend to accumulate and become a real nuzsance. anyway to have them not show up when I open the SWX open dialog?

Reply to
Navy Diver

No because they have the same file extension.

They should disappear once you close the file (not SW). Try it out. Make sure that they are being removed, by having a WE opened up to the same folder that you open a file up in. You will see the temp file created. Then close the file in SW and switch back to your WE and see if the "~$xxxx.sldprt" is still there...it shouldn't be.

If they won't go way after you close your session with them. Have you tried keeping a Window Explorer (WE) window open at all times. Then you could go to the folder and delete them if they are that annoying for you.

Reply to
Scott

thanks Scott,

I turned them off completely by Win Explorer,tools,folder opts,hidden files . .do not show

"Scott" wrote in message news:...

Reply to
Navy Diver

Ahh I didn't think about hiding them using WE, but I like to have everything showing, so I wouldn't have ever went there.

FYI - If you crash and you can't get your permissions to a certain file back. It maybe because of those ~$TEMP files that is keeping you from getting access. You will have to delete them to regain access to the original file.

Cheers, Scott

Reply to
Scott