Unexpected File Format!

This message is popping up more frequently and has become a serious problem. Part and assembly files cannot be opened. Work has been lost. It was thought that files were being corrupted over the network and so myself and colleagues began working on files locally. This didn't solve the problem. Best guess is that the corruption occurs after after a solidworks crash but not necessarily immediately afterwards. Has anyone else had this problem? What causes it? Can corrupted files be recovered? How can I avoid it?

I really need help on this one. Recognition that this problem exists would at least help ease the pain!

Simon

Reply to
Simon Cole

Hi Simon,

We don't have the problem here (2005 SP3). Because you also have it on your local computers, it isn't a netware problem. Did you check your computers with a decent virus scanner?

\/\/im

Reply to
\/\/im

You have been working on a network? Any chance someone moved one of the files while it was open somewhere else?

In TOOLS/OPTIONS/EXTERNAL REFERENCES is Search References checked? and are there pathes listed in FILENAMES/REFERENCES?

Reply to
TOP

What SP are you running? I thought that bug was fixed in SP3.

Richard

Sim> This message is popping up more frequently and has become a serious

Reply to
Richard Charney

As far as I can judge it is Ok. AVG on the network. Each PC gets checked daily. No problems recently.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Cole

I still see it here, I'm running SP3 (over a network). I never got this error in SWX 2004.

Eric

Richard Charney wrote:

recovered?

exists

Reply to
Eric

I have seen this with WinXP and Office 97&2000 without the updated service packs.

Reply to
pete

I started seeing this message today as well. I'm working on SWX 200 SP01.1, Win XP Pro SP2, Norton (latest definitions)

So far it seems to have only affected files I have saved today

including files started from scratch. Basically I hit new, create basic block, hit save (locally), close SW and try to open the model without success

I don't know what's caused it, but it's annoying to lose a whole da

of work. I also noticed that the file sizes are a fair bit smalle than usual for these "unexpected' files

Any suggestions? I'm going to re-install tomorrow

Reply to
Novaz

Well, SW was uninstalled and then re-installed. I still get th

"unexpected file" error, and it is still saving files which open wit the error. So it looks like SW isn't directly responsible

Even simple single extrude rectangle models are getting corrupted

Reply to
Novaz

Try different sp

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Problem is still occuring on the latest service pack. Not just on on model either. Bugger

Reply to
Novaz