Virtual Race Car Project - Len's Excellent Adventure

Hi all,

Since I have neither the time, money, or resources to actually build a late model pro-stock race car I have decided to build a "virtual one" in SolidWorks.

Purchased a book from Steve Smith Automotive

"Build the pro/stock late model sportsman" which contains the plans for the primary frame/rollcage.

However, I need to model up the 9" Ford Rear End and front Camaro clip required for this class of race car. Not being in the "know" I really am not aware of available resources in this area.

Can anybody point me to a link where I can find detailed dimensions sufficient for modelling purposes.

Any other links would be appreciated. With the exception of the rollcage (which is copyrighted) I'd be more than willing to share my models with anyone else.

In addition to modelling practice (which I don't get to do too much any more) I wish to use this "project" for the following:

  1. Tie in my PDM system to my ERP system
  2. Semi-automate the process of generating drawings from models using DBWorks script capablility
  3. Learn the DBWorks/Cutlist interface to determine how they interact.
  4. Try some simple surfacing models (Race car body) which I figure are simple enough in scope I'll actually be able to start and finish it.
  5. Play with the sheetmetal function in SW (use to be an aircraft mechanic in my previous life).
  6. Experiment with Quadrispace to generate the final production documentation (interactive and PDF document generation.

Cheers,

Len

Reply to
lmar