A few newbie passenger car q's - model accuracy, paint recommendations, etc.

Sure there are 'degrees' of everything.

'Shopping around", as I intended to use the term, is checking prices. It's 'OK' to go into a store and check prices. Picking up a box and looking at it (which MAY be opened or shrink-wrapped as to view the contents) is 'OK'. What is NOT 'OK' is to open boxes, or take materials to the counter to be opened by store personnel, inspect parts, or to ask questions requiring non-trivial TIME for the store personnel to answer, or to test run something ... WITHOUT ANY INTENTION TO BUY AT *THAT* STORE!

Now requesting such service from a store does NOT require you to buy there. Maybe the item is just not what you want. Maybe it's somehow defective. But you should NOT use the services of one store when you INTEND to buy from another.

Providing such services is part of the reason local hobby shops MUST charge more for their merchandise. Such service costs the store money. Using the service with NO intention to buy is just cheating the store at best, and stealing at worst.

Now it's agreed that SOME local shops are very poor. They charge high prices and offer little or no service anyway. That's still no reason to cheat them. Just don't go there in the first place!

And, as I've said, I have NO problem with 'buying from the lowest bidder' ... as long as you do your OWN research on what to buy, and don't steal the knowledge from some other store then stab them in the back.

That's MY position on the matter.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I don't think the notorious Red Caboose of NYC can be equated with "any local hobby shop".

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

And you might be surprised to learn that I've never done that (I don't really care if you believe me). But what I will do is walk out of any shop, in a big hurry, that treats me like crap. And that I have done, and more than once. Although for shops its less than the fingers of one hand, and in once case the same shop did it to me multiple times and each time I stayed away 2-3 years. Biggest offenders there are show dealers especially GATS dealers.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

'OK', I've not dealt with 'Red Caboose', perhaps they are a PITA, but that's still not reason to cheat them as was suggested. If they are that bad, just don't go in their store at all.

There are all sorts of shops out there. But the more service they offer, the higher prices they MUST charge. Only you can decide if the added service is worth the cost.

The reverse is not always the case. Some stores may charge high prices and offer little service. Keep away.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Andy Harman wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Sounds like a good policy to me

I too have met dealers who seem to think THEY are doing ME a big favor by doing business with me, and act like obnoxious idiots. And, yes, flea markets are a good place to find these types. Few real stores can survive long with such an attitude. sometimes a store will have a particular employee who acts inappropriately, but they shouldn't last long ... unless the offender is the owner.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Andy Harman wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell