? about turntable stalls

Reply to
John Franklin

But, tracks are normally spaced LINEARLY, NOT by angle. The limiting factor is the separation at the roundhouse doors. When the roundhouse is placed farther from the turntable, the tracks diverge far less for the same spacing, so the whole roundhouse, especially the back wall of the roundhouse, can be far narrower for the same track spacing.

If the roundhouse were infinitely far away, all the tracks would be parallel, and the building would no longer be pie shaped.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Yes, that was a not uncommon way to save space on the prototype, and it works on the model too, though at the expense of complicated trackwork (LOTS of LONG frogs). On th emodel, it would also cause electrical complications (insulating and power routing for all the frogs).

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I think he's referring to the width of the wall of the round house away from the pit in relation to the number of stalls. As pointed out in other responses to this thread, the width of the round house at the stall doors is fairly fixed (spacing from maybe 16' per stall for a house with just a wood or steel beam between the tracks to perhaps 21' per stall for some brick houses with wider masonry columns between the tracks) regardless of the distance the house is set away from the pit. The spacing of the tracks changes, with more degrees of angle between the adjacent tracks for roundhouses close to the pit. And as another responder noted, it a round house with 16' door spacing is placed more than about 3.5R (R being the radius of the TT pit) away from the center of the pit, the rails cross over the rails of the adjacent house tracks, so that switch frogs are placed on adjacent pairs of rails near the edge of the pit. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

Well, the 'cab froward' was just a backwards steam loco ... most of the part you had to service were in their usual location with the loco backed into the roundhouse. Not that the roundhouse stalls then had to be made enough longer to house the full tender. Yes, those were a sort-of exception.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

When you put the roundhouse further from the TT then you use closer angles than with the nearer roundhouse. Thus the roundhouse actually takes up less area as the limiting factor is the entrance to the roundhouse. You do run into the problem tho of the trackage space between the TT and the roundhouse but you put the whole thing into the space you have abailable. For that 360 degree roundhouse, there were several tracks that actually came out the back of the roundhouse to gain access into the roundhouse. The roundhouse was actually built all the way around as that way they didn't have to do the walls but rather just a little more roof.

Bob May

Is that the reason for the cab forward shed at Dunsmuir?

Reply to
Steve Caple

I was thinking of the overall size of the engine terminal complex,which is the turntable itself, the trackage between the turntable and the round house, and the size of the round house itself. If you move the roundhouse back from the turntable, the track leading into the roundhouse takes up more space. I would size things to get a decent looking roundhouse into the space available and accept what ever number of stalls will fit the resulting building.

David Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

One of the stalls had a back door to let the engines in and out.

David Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:14:55 UTC, "John Franklin" wrote: 2000

That was a specially posed picture. Typically the ACs went in tender last.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:35:38 UTC, Steve Caple wrote: 2000

No, it was just cheaper and easier to do it that way than to extend the stalls. Dunsmuir was also in a valley and there was very little room to spare. Truckee also had a malley house and they did not have a space limitation AFAIK. The Truckee roundhouse was fairly old and was a complete circle with the turntable covered. One stall was left open for access.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:08:10 UTC, "John Franklin" wrote: 2000

The Norden turntable was not built for the later (longer) ACs. When turning an AC the coupler knuckles had to be closed or you started banging into support posts.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Also known as "malley house"

Reply to
John Franklin

No doubt a company posed shot......Ok I will revise my cool statement. It's really cool to look at a round house and see it full of loco's being nose out or tender out. Is everyone happy now? I realize they were stored on the garden tracks out side the round house, and sometimes serviced there too.

Reply to
John Franklin

"> The Norden turntable was not built for the later (longer) ACs. When

So the clearance was CLOSE................. Just wondering Ernie, what type of journals are on the 4449?

Reply to
John Franklin

Turntables completely inside loco sheds popped up in parts of the U.K., and at the now demolished North Melbourne loco depot here in Victoria, there were three t.t.s in one long rectangular shed. In real life, the problem with such was that the radiating roads were of differing lengths, so one had to juggle the types of locos put onto the various roads. and as someone else wrote, no good for a model as one cannot see the locos inside. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

Which reminds me: some months ago I wrote MR requesting they include overall and wheelbase lengths in the stats tables with their locomotive reviews, and got a positive response. I don't know what their lead time is but perhaps a few more nudges might help, if any of y'all think it would be a handy piece of info. ("Will that Proto 2-8-8-2 fit my turntable?")

Reply to
Steve Caple

The 4449 is a GS-4 so it has the regular journals that most locos have. The GS-5 class had roller journals but were otherwise regular GS-4 locos.

Bob May

Actually track wiring is easy. A rotary switch with two levels of contacts will provide for all tracks to the north of the powered track get north power while the south tracks get the south power.

Bob May

Assuming you don't want to RUN on any of the other tracks ... not likely, I'll grant, but possible. Of course, you could just switch a short section of track including the frogs, and have all the stall tracks on separate blocks.

The turntable, being in effect a "reverse loop", needs polarity switching. This can be done automatically via a rotary switch on TT the shaft, or by other means.

But, if you expect to run on more than one track at a time at a large multi-tracked roundhouse, especially with DC, you'll need some fairly elaborate (more by volume than complicated) wiring.

with DCC one could leave ALL the stall tracks as one block, but in practice you would likely still want the ability to turn each off individually. At least you wouldn't need a lot of cab selector switches.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell