Atlas (Roco) S-2 vs. Shinohara code 83 turnouts

I am having a problem with the older Roco built S-2s. They stall on the Shinohara code 83 turnouts where all other engines including Roco built FP-7A units work fine. The pick up system looks ok but it seems if you wiggle the truck slightly the unit moves again. I am wondering if the back of the wheel is contacting something it shouldn't. The wheels and turnouts check OK with the NMRA gauge.

Any suggestions ?

Reply to
Mountain Goat

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:57:02 UTC, Mountain Goat wrote: 2000

Is it losing contact or is it shorting? If it is shorting it may be that the axle sets are out of gauge. This allows the truck to swivel and contact the (opposite polarity) closure rail. There are several fixes as follows:

1) DCC friendly turnouts 2) Regauge wheel sets 3) Check gauge on turnout.
Reply to
Ernie Fisch

2 and 3 done already, did you read the last sentence of my post?
Reply to
Mountain Goat