Atlas Trainmaster

H24-66 Trainmaster

Did the Southern Pacific have specific freight train assignments for this engine? Might someone know what engine(s) pulled the SP "Overnight Express"?

Many Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Matt Brennan

| Did the Southern Pacific have specific freight train assignments for this | engine? | Might someone know what engine(s) pulled the SP "Overnight Express"?

Most of their lives they pulled commuter trains between San Jose and San Francisco. I'm sure that they did a share of local freight on the weekends. They were equipped with steam generators and other passenger stuff so they wouldn't be scheduled to get far from their commuter terminals.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

Thanks Chris!

Reply to
Matt Brennan

They also were used on non-commute passenger runs. I have ridden the Del Monte down to Monterey/Carmel more times than I can remember. Always behind a Train Master. It was on one of those trips that we got hit by a pickup truck at Castroville. The truck ran under the train between the engine and the first car.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

ONe other item of note is that the FM Trainmasters were the only diesels that were able to keep to the time schedules that were set by the Mountains that used to pull the commuter trains.

Bob May

Why didn't MU'ing enough other units work?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

You then end up with trains made up of mostly locos rather than cars! Only the Alco locos would wind up fast enough to make this possible. The EMD units would hardly be able to keep the schedule just by themselves. If GE U-boats were around then, they couldn't have kept the schedule.

Bob May