Atlas H-24-66 Train Master

Is anyone going to comment on this latest announcement from Atlas?

Froggy

This has been rumored for a while, and they are supposed to unveil it at the show in West Springfield, MA this weekend. Several of my friends braved the snow, rain and slush to make it, hope they bring home either a sample or an impression of the model.

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

The Espee Yahoo! list has been rampant with discussion, as has this venue within the past several hours.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Geez, I might just have to get back into HO scale for this!! The FM H24-66 was always one of my favorite locos...especially after riding behind them for a time in the early 1970's on the SP!!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Yes - what can anyone possibly see in this box on wheels? Is it because the Train Master is so historically important for Fairbanks-Morse? I don't understand why Atlas tries innovations on ugly-looking engines - they released their first engine with red/green marker lamps in the H15-44 and H16-44...

Frank Eva

Frank Eva

I've already ordered mine in SP and in CP paint, non sound non dcc though. I've been wishing for trainmasters (from atlas or kato) for several years. Athearn's were, um... underwhelming?

Reply to
Alan Dye

I would strongly suggest that you do not buy one of them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it is not necessary for the beholder to justify that personal opinion to any one else. There are plenty of butt-ugly second generation EMDs and GEs of every description out there for others to enjoy.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

I hope they offer the demo model. That was one of the best looking paint schemes ever

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

Of course they would eventually release the most BEAUTIFUL hood unit ever built.

Nothing Alco, Baldwin, EMD or GE ever built even comes close.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

That is certainly true for GE, but I'm not so sure about Alco and Baldwin.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

My question was, why would anyone want one of these? Is it the historical significance, or something else? Your reply didn't answer my question...

Frank Eva

Frank Eva

Track One did them on the Athearn model; I had all four numbers at one time (I've since sold them all). Very nice demo scheme.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

For the railroads that had them, they are an icon. When introduced, they beat the other manufacturers to the 2400 hp plateau, making them the most powerful diesels available.

Getting to basics, however, even SP fans can't justify them if they model parts of the SP other than El Paso-LA (their first assignment), or San Francisco (either commute or weekend freight), unless they take liberties with prototypical practice.

But then, that's what makes this hobby interesting.

BTW, TVA still has an H16-66 still operating a few miles from here:

Brian Paul Ehni

How about "it was one of the precious few road diesels that wasn't a Geep or an F7 on the stretch of the Wabash my buddies and I model."

-fm Webmaster, Operations Road Show

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

Frank

Maybe you should consider that folks don't buy models because they look nice...DUH...However, the Traimaster does not fall into that category, they are awesome looking motors. .They buy them because they are interested in modeling railroads that had them or they just like this particular locomotive..

The Trainmaster was a very significant diesel and the availability of a hight quality model of this prototype is of great interest to many in the modeling community..

Frank, just because you don't think that they are desirable does not mean that the next thinks the same...

Regards,

Denis F. Blake

Reply to
Denis F.Blake

Because, Frank, your comments that they are a "box on wheels and "ugly-looking engines" are subjective opinions only. Others, and I include myself in this group, find the styling and appearance of the FM locomotives very attractive.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Is that an S2 showing in the left background?

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

I always liked those rounded Loewy-designed windows on the H15s and H-20s.

Butt-ugly locomotives? I'd nominate those current GE wide cabs, but then I've always liked streamlined-looking stuff. And F-M.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington
Reply to
Mark Newton

I think it did. The Train Master is a beautiful machine.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake