Atlas H-24-66 Train Master

I'm with ya, but I think the ugliest thing nowadays are those SD90MAC's. UGH!!!!

But then, as someone else said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think they are attractive....sorry, but I do now.

I'll take the H24-66 any day!!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Thanks, much better pic than those on the Atlas site, now I know what they look like. Keith.

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

The Trainmaster isn't my cup of tea, but I welcome the idea of factory-added sound systems. I hope it is a success and they follow up with more.

And from a purely marketing point of view, I like Atlas' 360° animation of the new loco:

Mark Mathu

It's a non-governmental governmental authority (set up to get around spending limits - I'm reading "The Shadow Government" about this very thing) set up to provide rural electrication in the valley of the Tennessee River (Kentucky & Tennessee). TVA built hydroelectric dams and still provides juice to the residents.

Like almost all non-governmental authorities, it gets its money from fees. Its top officers (of any authority) are usually appointed by the governor of the state or some portion of the gov't. It's political patronage at its best and worst, depending on the authority's efficiency. At the time of writing of the book (1992), the author estimated (based on 1990 US census data) there were about 35,000 non-governmental authorities in the USA. California has about

6,000. Wisconsin (thankfully) has 3.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

That WAS my answer. MANY people would want the most awesomely beautiful hood unit over built.

Your "box on wheels" just screams power on wheels, the very essence of strength and beauty in a locomotive.

I suppose you like those weird engines with all kinds of strange angles and protubrences.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Yup. With valve gear and steam domes and stacks blowing black (no, not describing an Alco) and tenders, and steam hissing....

Diseasels? Beautiful? You've got to be joking... ;-)

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Magee

OK - this is something I can understand - it's getting a part of important history.

Reply to
Frank Eva

Yes, this is a much better pic. From this perspective, the Train Master actually has some eye appeal - looks like an oversize GP9... with 3-axle trucks, of course! ;-)

Reply to
Frank Eva

And your "opinion" is duly noted... and appreciated, as well. I wonder why folks take offense to an "opinion" to the point where they no longer can defend their opinion - they simply start spouting nonsense. At least your reply gives a reason for your love of these engines, and I thank you for thinking clearly enough to not let it be clouded by your outrage.

Reply to
Frank Eva

NO - your previous answer said nothing about them being "awesomely beautiful"... which, BTW, is an answer!

This is another good answer - too bad you didn't say this in the first place. We could have avoided this argument.

and protubrences.

This is just your judgment being clouded by your outrage that I didn't happen to find the Train Master "awesomely beautiful"...

Reply to
Frank Eva

Yep - that's another good answer! ;-)

Reply to
Frank Eva

As far as I know, the Spectrum steamers with factory-equipped sound didn't go over well. I personally think that it makes the price way too high for most hobbyists.

Engine manufacturers need to start developing their own sound hardware/software, instead of relying on a third party that has no competition in the marketplace and can charge whatever they want to. When the addition of a sound/control decoder, speaker, etc. only costs $50 more than the one without the extra hardware, they will be a lot more successful. As it stands, Atlas is tacking on $110 for the DCC/sound package, and that's a hefty percentage of the pricetag of an engine without it.

BTW, I just realized that the model Atlas shows is N scale - this no doubt contributed to my initial reaction. The HO scale version will no doubt be more detailed, or at least you'll be able to see the details better.

Frank Eva

Frank Eva

=>My question was, why would anyone want one of these? Is it the historical =>significance, or something else? Your reply didn't answer my question... =>

=>Frank Eva =>

Oh, yes, his reply did answer your question. He thinks they're beautiful. I agree. I also like steam locos. Before you question my sanity, kindly keep in mind that we not required to agree with others' tastes and preferences.

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Looks like a winner to me.

Cheers, Bill Sohl

Reply to
Bill Sohl

I like the idea that they offer the loco both with and without the imbedded sound system. Many find the BLI locos beautiful but too expensive with the QSI sound. This will also provide Atlas a way of measuring the popularity of $100 sound by comparing the sales of both versions.

regards, Andy miller

Reply to
Andy Miller

The QSI noise board is like a big wart on the tip of a pretty girl's nose. Or, in a more crude analogy, you might say it is the t * * d in Broadway's punchbowl.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake