Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0. Problem.

Discovered, by sheer chance, a problem with one of my Bachmann Spectrum

2-8-0s tonight.

The other three all run with the tender connected (Which it has to be) but the tender wheels don't have to be in contact with the rails. Normally, the locos pick up through the driving wheels plus the tender wheels but the tender wheels aren't required for pick-up, they're a (smart) bonus.

However, the forth loco will not run unless the tender wheels are in contact with the rails. It's apparently either not picking up with the left hand drivers, or there's an incomplete circuit somewhere. I've removed the keeper plate holding the drivers and pick ups in place, and the two solder joints, that attach the red and white pick up wires, are good.

Anyone got any ideas?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Roger, in my case since I don't give a rat's ass about DCC, I have severed the tender connections. I break out the wiring and tie the motor connections together and do the same with the headlight connections. I seal the conections with heat shrink then tuck them away under the drawbar in the frame. Net result..........loco runs just fine without depending on the tender. I have done my 2-8-0 and my 2-10-0 this way they run just fine. Just my 2 cents worth................

Have FUN!

Pat

Reply to
John Franklin

Thanks John, that may be an option.

I think what happened is the two pin micro plug that carries the driving wheel power to the tender has died. The loco works fine with any tender attached but lift the left hand wheels of the tender, and nothing.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

My guess would be either a loose wire in on of the connector plugs (thats where mine failed), a loose connection to one of the tender trucks, or a problem in the circuit board inside the tender. The front tender truck picks up from one rail, the rear truck picks up from the other rail. Easiest fix is to contact Bachmann's repair department. They refused to sell me repair parts. I opted to throw away all the wires and plugs, and ran two wires from the tender to the engine, like a normal person. Bill

Reply to
Bill Donahue

Have you tried reversing the wheels in the tender? I seem to recall that some of these wheelsets are insulated, and if reversed, won't send power to the motor...

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

"Digital Railroader"

Not the problem, it's definitely the two pin male plug that's shot.

Engine 371 normally has a kitbashed USRA clear vision tender in tow. If I lift the left side wheels of that tender from the rails, the loco stops.

If I couple another tender behind 371 and also lift its left side wheels from the rails, once again the loco stops.

So it's the two pin mail connector that is at fault.

As soon as I get some shrink tubing, I'm going to cut the connect from the wires from both the male and female plug and hard wire them together.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Agreed, I have 3 with faulty plugs, the wires are press fitted not soldered to the pins and pull off. I do not change tenders so have simply hard wired them as I have had parts on order for over 3 years from my LHS as the Oz distributor is too lazy to order them for LHS. I have not been able to obtain replacements elsewhere, all I can get are much larger. Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200