C&S/AT&SF?

Hoping one of the Sante Fe gang can answer a question for me - I saw an ad for the new Atlas SW-1200 in O scale; one of the offered models is lettered C&S/AT&SF - but is painted in the CB&Q black/grey livery. What's the relationship between these roads? I thought the Colorado and Southern was financed by the UP, but now I'm guessing I'm wrong. And where does the Burlington fit in?

Chris Kansas City

Reply to
cschultz

C & S is the successor company to Union Pacific, Denver, and Gulf after U P D & G emerged from bankruptcy in 1898. UPD&G was controlled by Union Pacific. C B & Q controlled C & S. In fact C & S and C B & Q merged in the

1970s.

It has been a long time since UP had anything to do with C&S.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks, Jim - that clears up a lot. So, was this an early partnership between CB&Q and ATSF? CB&Q mergered with the GN to become Burlington Northern, I think? Eventually leading to BNSF?

Chris Kansas City

Reply to
cschultz

snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com wrote: >

C&S had trackage rights on the Joint Line in Colorado. See:

mark_newton

No there never was a partnership with AT&SF other than the joint trackage rights between Denver and Pueblo.

GN and NP jointly owned CB&Q. The three companies merged to form BN. Eventually, BN mergede with AT&SF to form BNSF. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Mark and Jim - thanks for the info, fellas. You learn something new all the time in this hobby. I appreciate your help!

Chris Kansas City

Reply to
cschultz