Copying Hobby VHS tapes to DVD legalities

On a Yahoo Group that I follow there was a short discussion about copying one's VHS railroad tapes onto DVDs to preserve them. One
fellow said he's done this, and keeps all of the original VHS tapes to prove that he bought them and can legally copy them for his own personal use.
I replied that I've done the same with the over 100 tapes that I had, and then I sold off the VHS tapes at local train shows. The copy DVDs all fit on one shelf, where the tapes were all over the place, one reason I had for replacing them was to gain some space.
The moderator came back lambasting me saying that selling MY tapes in such a manner and keeping the copies was ILLEGAL. And since Yahoo did not condone illegal copyright activities, I was not to refer to this practice again!
What a lot of BS! Me selling tapes that I paid for was illegal!! Talk about weak kneed wussies! Now if I was making copies of the VHS tapes and selling them, I could see that being not right, but selling MY tapes??
Comments?
Bob B
Railfan wrote:

Selling the tapes was not illegal. Keeping your backup copy on DVD WAS/IS illegal
When you sell the original you lost the right for a protective backup of the item.
Howard G
Railfan wrote:

Selling the tapes was not illegal. Keeping your backup copy on DVD WAS/IS illegal
When you sell the original you lost the right for a protective backup of the item.
Howard G
Yeah, what he said. 100% agree. Val M.
Val wrote:

Also:
IF the retail video tapes were manufactured with Macrovision AND they were duplicated after the effective date of the DMCA, they may not have ever been legal. DMCA clearly specifically prohibits defeating software and hardware anti-copy measures, even where "Fair Use" backup would otherwise apply.
Many of the mainstream retail motion picture and TV show tapes had Macrovision to make it harder for people to duplicate the tapes.
Duplication of retail taped material with Macrovision normally requires hardware to filter out the Macrovision effects (tape to tape) or special Macrovision removal recording software (tape to computer based DVR). If you were able to duplicate the tape with the software that came with a normal tape to computer recording adapter or the software that came with a computer based tuner card the tape probably didn't have Macrovision.
*snip*

There are some computer capture cards (the Hauppague PVR250 being one) that aren't affected by Macrovision. They simply work differently than Macrovision does, so it's ineffective. I've had my DVD-Recorder tell me I couldn't copy some tape or something to DVD, and played it back with the same VCR to capture to computer and it's worked just fine.
Puckdropper

On Aug 30, 8:55pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Huh, I didn't know that!
Thank you!
-Pete

So when those black-uniformed RIAA police kick in your door at four am with their jackbooted feet, you can't plead ignorance anymore!
On Aug 31, 11:57am, "video guy - www.locoworks.com"

Somehow I doubt that I'm going to be staying up nights, gripping my assault weapon in fear.

You laugh now, but just wait until they clamp the electrodes on your testicles!
On Aug 31, 11:19pm, "video guy - www.locoworks.com"

If they get over my fence and survive the rotweiller's greetings they yet have to deal with the dog's owner: an ex-Army Infantry guy who still owns and stays proficient with both long and short arms.
"Gee, what a pity, officer! I would have *sworn* they were that darned coyote pack we've been having trouble with!"
-Pete
Whoo! Who'da thunk that me selling my 15-25 year old tapes could be illegal! Guess I'll have to worry about the copyright police dropping in to see what I've done.
After reconsidering, I think I may have made a mistake, instead of selling my old tapes for $5-10 at local train shows I actually destroyed them. Shredded them into a zillion pieces and put them into a recycling bin. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Fuggemall!
Bob B
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:41:04 -0700 (PDT), Twibil

Sort of like the guy in Texas who saw two latino men trying unsuccessfully trying to break into a neighbors house.
After being told no less than three times by the 911 operator to stay in his house and that police were en route he want outside and shot them dead as they were leaving, in the back of course.
Was he convicted of anything, are you kidding it's Texas.
--
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them" - Jason Laumark

"I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution

Unsuccessfully? They were confronted coming *out* of the home and had a bag of cash and jewelry with them.

And the two Columbians haven't robbed any more homes...

Perfect example of good "gun control": First Round Hits!
snipped-for-privacy@hectic.org wrote:

This is *way* off-topic for the newsgroup. And if you want to argue, I'll post the news stories from the last few weeks, of the idiot gun dealer and the idiot father handing the assault weapon to the 8-yr-old, who then killed the father. Or the one about the 8-yr-old killing, mmm, I think it was his father and another man.
Or the first round hits from the el here in Chicago, that killed a teenaged girl. or.....
mark
--
"They're beating plowshares into swords for those tired old men we elected
king." Don Henley`

post the news stories from the last few weeks, of the idiot gun dealer and the idiot father handing the assault weapon to the 8-yr-old, who then killed the father.< You need to post as your paraphasing is way off. The 8 yr killed himself. Also while stupid no laws were broken. In many states assault weapons are legal including the 50cal rifle as one example.
While from copying tapes to weapons I don't like people who do things against the law but I have the same feelings for persons who have no idea what the laws are. Both are stupid.
And *all* of the followups are missing the main point: gun laws, use, and misuse are *way* off-topic for the group. There's plenty of newsgroups for arguing them - this ain't one of them. I'll cheerfully argue why y'all are wrong, but I don't want to do it *here*.
mark
--
"There's about as much ideological diversity on talk radio today in the US
as there was in Stalin's Soviet Union in 1934. I mean, it's not just right

Argue about what? Accidents? Don't make me post the news stories about how many children die in cars, swimming pools, or from common household chemicals.
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:06:55 GMT, Spender wrote:

Hey, how about that Charles Whitman, eh? Quite a shot - but then, he WAS and Eagle Scout.
--
Steve

That's because, under the Texas Constitution and Texas Law, those actions, to protect property, are completely legal.