Copying Hobby VHS tapes to DVD legalities

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:27:33 -0600, Rick Jones wrote:

<snip>
C'mon guys, you've beat this subject to death. I don't mind a little off-topic arguing, but this has been going on way too long.
Can we drop it and get back to model railroading?

Okay. How about that Lionel Great Train Robbery set? ;)

Sorry. You don't get to decide that for the other posters any more than you'd walk up to two strangers on the sidewalk and tell them to change the subject of their conversation.

We never left. If you have a model railroading post you want to get off your chest, for gosh sakes have at it.
No one is stopping you.
~Pete
Twibil wrote:

I wonder how he would feel if one of these uncontrolled criminals came in to his house and destroyed his model railroad.
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:00:37 +1100, a_a_a wrote:

I see you made an assumption as to which side I'd take in this dispute. Without any evidence whatsoever. Typical.
Try breaking into my house and see how far you get :-).
All further responses cheerfully ignored.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

The statement made no assumptions whatever. It was purely an implied query. It is you that is making assumptions. Without any evidence whatsoever. Typical.
Spender wrote: [...]

I think capital punishment is too soft. A few years of anxiety while appeals wind their way through the courts, then a few seconds of pain (or not, since it's done "humanely" these days.) Not good enough punishment for creeps like Manson. I think lifelong solitary, with every effort made to prevent suicide, would be fair. And I mean _solitary_ - no human contact of any kind ever again. If hands-on treatment is required, knock 'em out with funny gas, deal with them, and let them come to in their padded, solitary, 24-hour-lighted, soundproof cell.
As for Sirhan Sirhan, he was deranged psychotic. In my more paranoid moods I suspect he was "managed" by those who wanted Robert Kennedy dead.

Well, most of them had no objections to treating humans as property either, and slavery was defended on constitutional grounds for decades. The beauty of the US Constitution is that most of it consists of statements of principles, not rules.
--
Wolf Kirchmeir

How about protecting an entire nation from some draft-dodging Texas dipshit who ran it into the ground? Where the fuck was Lee Harvey Oswald 8 years ago when we needed him?
--
Steve

Railfan wrote:

Selling them was illegal because you copied them onto DVD. That meant you had two copies. By selling either copy, you do exactly what you admit would be not right. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a problem. The DVd copies are "backups for personal use", which is still, it seems, OK despite the DRM Act (there is some legal dubt aboutn this.) But if you don't have the originals, then the DVDs aren't backups anymore. See?
HTH
--
Wolf Kirchmeir

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

    What "if" the originals were destroyed by an angry spouse or other natural disaster? {:^)
Brian Smith wrote:

You MAY have one or two copies. [Yours, in your possession/ control]
One or both may be destroyed!. The problem is the copy NO LONGER IN YOUR CONTROL, WHILE you still retain a copy. That "Copy no longer in your control" whether by sale or gift, is Illegal.
Chuck D.

As was mentioned earlier there are conflicting laws. One saying that any modification of equipment (software) to make a copy is illegal and another saying you can have a copy for backup. I will pay attention to all this crap when they decide to replace (for free) my 500 laser disks and continue to replace as they change formats, etc.

Don't ask, don't tell.
RE