Copying Hobby VHS tapes to DVD legalities

Ronnie wrote:

as they should be everywhere.

Yay! Deadly force rules! How "American".
-- Cheers Roger T. See the GER at: - http://www.islandnet.com/~rogertra /
Roger T. wrote:

"American" or not, it has to be that way, or just give it all up to the miscreants. Then, they'll come after you and yours...
fl@liner

Anti-gunners should prominently display a "This is a Gun-Free Home!" sign outside their homes. That would make things a lot safer for the criminals.

That's a great idea. Let's start by requiring all the Anti-Gun Politicians and Lobbyists to post that sign around their homes.
Ronnie wrote:

Great. And when one of you shoots at someone, and misses, and gets someone else, maybe in your neighbor's house, then you have no trouble being up for manslaughter and serving time, right?
mark
--
Frodo: "(Gollum) deserves death!"
Gandalf: "...I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death.

As long as you have no problem being up for manslaughter after running a stop sign. Or do you want to ban cars also?
Spender wrote:

How about requiring annual training, and licensing for guns?
Oh, and I'm so glad you're for supplying guns to gangs.
mark
--
"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and
despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution."
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:22:23 -0600, whitroth wrote:

They really are. The ayatollahs of the NRA keep insisting that the Tiahrt Amendment be appended to BATF funding, preventing use of the Federal database for finding which gun dealers are making hundreds (if not more) sales to straw buyers, in Virginia for instance, who then import them to New York and see that the dope dealers and pimps are free to exercize their 2nd Amendment rights. The only question is whether this is out of pigheaded ideological stupidity or if there are payoffs involved; or both.
--
Steve

Annual? Do you take a driver's test every year?
But for carrying in public, sure, no problem. No need for a license for home use, just as you don't need a license to drive on private property.

I see. Well I'm not at all happy that you rape children.
If you're going to make things up, think big.
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:39:45 -0600, Spender wrote:

It would be a hell of a lot easier to do that effectively if the cold dead fingers crown would tell the NRA ayatollahs to stop demanding the Tiahrt Amendment limit hte use of federal firearms databases so the corrupt dealers and manufacturers could be tracked down.
--
Steve

And naturally we can instantly tell that you're not trying to spin anything in your direction by the way you use completely unloaded phrases such as "cold dead fingers crown" (sic), "NRA ayatollahs" (sic), and "corrupt dealers and manufacturers" (sick).
It's sensible, centrist positions such as this that convince responsible gun owners that the left wing fruit-loops really *are* out to totally disarm them, and cause those gun owners to resist *any* move towards gun control as being just one more step on the road to complete confiscation.
So -in a very real sense- you're shooting yourself in the foot.
~Pete
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:48:46 -0800 (PST), Twibil wrote:

Sorry for the typo - I of course meant "crowd', not "crown". They seem to really like feeling threatened and under siege. Their slogan is as stupid and demeaning to your cause as the "Kill 'Em All and Let God Sort 'Em Out" t-shirts seen on so many pimply faced skinhead wannabe's and junior Rambo wankers. If you can find more than one of them in a thousand who knows the origin of the phrase, I'll be very surprised.
Given his dogmatic one-way mentality, La Pierre certainly acts like an ayatollah.
There certainly are corrupt dealers; what percentage, and it may well be small, we cannot tell since the Tiahrt Amendment makes it legally impossible to find out. There may as well be corrupt manufacturers. Untie the hands of the cops and let them find out.
What are you afraid of?
--
Steve

People like you being put in charge of anything more complex than a tricycle.
As someone once quoth: "For every difficult and convoluted question there is a simple one-size-fits-all answer.
It's completely *wrong*, of course, but it *is* simple."
~Pete
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:01:16 -0800 (PST), Twibil wrote:

Why so evasive? What is NRA hiding with this Tiahrt crap?
--
Steve

Notice that none of the gun nuts has had *any* model RR-related posts, nor responded to my continued suggestions that it was o-t. I can only assume from that that none of them have any interest in model railroads, and are just spammer kids with nothing else to do, no significant others, or a clue.
This ends my participation in this idiocy.
mark

So how about some model RR posts from you?
Spender wrote:

The one that I've seen in MR, the one that I lust over, and when I can get a set up, hope to emulate is Sellios' Franklin and Manchester. Works well, since my time period is '39-'40. I'm a bit south of there, though: as a Philly expatriate, I run Pennsy. The one change I've made was to decide that while still under bankruptcy from the Depression, 42 years before the MoPac merged into UP, it was the Pennsy that swallowed it. So, though I only have a passenger car or two relabeled, that's the Pennsy Pacific, or PPRR.... <g>
And bringing in the MoPac was because my ...late... wife's late father had spent his career as an engineer on the MoPac. I have a picture of him in a MoPac Mike, and I modified a LifeLike (I think that's what it was - it's in the basement just now) Mike to look as closely as I could to the 1212.
mark
--
As nearly as I can tell, individual health insurance *isn't* insurance; it's
simply a draconian form of a buyer's club. - Bill Roper
whitroth wrote:

[...]
I agree, the F&SM is one of the great model railroads. We know that what Sellios has modelled is at best "based on" real buildings and scenes. But what he actually models is his concept of the Depression era.
IMO what Sellios' layout demonstrates is that a consistent visual style matters far more in creating the illusion of reality than the subject of the layout. It doesn't matter whether what's modelled is some segment of a real railroad, or whether it's a figment of the maker's imagination.
C S Lewis in one his essays distinguished between "life-like" == "giving the illusion of life/reality" and "like life" == "resembling life/reality". He noted the paradox that "like life" is not always "life-like", and points to some of the great works of fantastic fiction to illustrate his point (IMO, his books are also examples, as are the Harry Potter books and movies, etc.) The reason is that the content of the story is not what creates the illusion. It's how the story is told, its style IOW. In fact, many earnestly well-intentioned works of moralising fiction are neither life-like nor like life.
IMO, the FS&M is life-like, but it's not like life. Pelle Sjoberg's UP layout OTOH is both like life and life-like. In both cases, we see that model railroads are a kind of art. As in all the arts, the masters are those who have developed a style that expresses their vision of reality, their vision of what the railroad was and is.
--
Wolf Kirchmeir

Wolf Kirchmeir skriver:

You mean Pelle Sborg, don't you ? http://www.soeeborg.dk/gallery.html