DCC and running locos from overhead traction wiring

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:53:17 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Thank goodness. I had this nasty feeling that they had been stolen or something. Close call, eh? -- Ray
instead replied:

Well, the SSMRC was est. in 1938 as the Quincy Model Railway Club, and after a few moves during and after the war, moved to the basement of a small Weymouth, MA shopping plaza in 1953. We stayed there until 1998 (eventually, the layout grew to 2500 sq. ft.) when we moved to a former Naval Ammuntion Depot bunker in Hingham, MA. Our new layout will be over 6300 sq. ft., so one can see why we moved. Just like our old layout, we plan to have Eastern 3' narrow gauge, live overhead trolley, and, of course, standard gauge.

http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/diesel/42210-8011-8647-8635-8642_CA16_Engadine_2-7-99.jpg
http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/diesel/42219-42220-8630-8631-8642_CA16_Engadine_March-1999.jpg
http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/diesel/8021-8011-8609-8612-8614_CA16_Waterfall_8-7-99.jpg
http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/diesel/42213+422xx+86xx+86xx+86xx_Como.jpg
--
Difference of Hillary & Panama Canal? Ones a busy ditch, the other's..

Thanks for bringing that up Klaus. I could of course decide to make the layout fully-electric traction based and since I'm in Sydney that's almost feasible, but I'm looking at using normal 2-rail power delivery (albeit using DCC instead of straight DC), and was wondering about using live overhead as well because it's sort of a waste of effort to make overhead wiring, etc. if it's just sitting there looking pretty and not doing anything functional. 8-)
Craig.
--
Craig Dewick - Professional Train Manager (RailCorp) + HO Scale Rail Modeller
http://www.railzone.org -- Galleries, Forums, Links, Data, etc.! Send email to

Do as the rest of us - leave it beeing pretty :-)
"My" model railroad is electrified allmost all over, except for shunting tracks and the harbour.
I you look at http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk/over.html you will on the left hand see a rough trackplan showing where the numbered photos are taken. Click on the photos to the right and see them in lager size.
Klaus
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:14:12 +0200, "Klaus D. Mikkelsen"

That's a beautiful layout. Really nice photography as well. I'm curious about the two houses sited between the turntables at Remiseanlg. Is that based on the prototype? Must be a story there somewhere...

If you double click on them, do they come up pilsner size? :)
Thanks for the nice site.
Dale
Dale skriver:

Thanks
The 2 in the middle og this picture ? http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk/kulrem.html
Yes there is a story behuind theese, and no I cant remember right now. I think it is officebuildings for a factory, but let me check up o.n it monday. When I have the maker of the building (couldn't find it in one og my catalouges at home, so i have to read underneath the buildings).
Our large model railway is showing a "selv invented" part of south Germany. Germany was originally a lot of small "lnder", who grow and became Germany. They were fightinh 2 wolrd Wras and during wartime a lot of new is invvented. They have had a lot of different trains and We are showing trains dating back from the 1890'es (http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk/BR533.html ) up to modern high speed trains (http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk/VT605.html ) and locos of today (http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk/G2000.html , http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk/E185.html ).
On another setup We have build the by that we are situated in - Hadsten. The Dansih Railways opend the track in scale 1:1 back in 1862. We have chosen to show Hadsten in the late 1950's, so everything is build up as is was then. We got the original track layout, pictures of houses and so on. The train station in Hadsten is hand bulid in scale 1:87 (http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk/hadsten10.html ) as the rest of the buildings. There is no overview picture of the "lngdebanen" on our homepage (yet!).

DOH ! (Homer Simpson style) You know what I mean :-)
http://www.modelbaneeuropa.hadsten.dk/donkey.html
Klaus

Craig, the standard answer to using DCC fed through the Catenary is "Don't". It's unnecessary as you have already wired your track up and it exposes you to a variety of additional and unnecessary complications. Keep the overhead as a scenic extra and stay on the track feed.
--
Ian Birchenough

If you have a dead overhead, and you run with the pans and poles up, then what do you do when they fall off the wire? I'd be watching them get slammed into all kinds of obstructions and getting damaged. If I use the overhead as power, I'd be watching my trolley stop instantly and not be damaged.
Are you running electric only and honestly ? If YES make the panto one polarity, and the track the other so reverse loop should never be a problem after that. But you will have to alter your pickups etc.
You desire to protect the panto is admirable and it is your railway. Just pay attention to the reverse loop problems.
To me a train derailing takes litle time and if the panto get damaged, it would take a decent crash to do so, and if such force does occur, it will not matter if it is powerered or not - a derailment means wheels off the rails, and panto powered or not , the loco will stop and still cause that crash !!! So I would think it is still not needed, and will not protect your trains.
Regards, David Head

Well, yeah. I've done that several times, everything from a Bachmann LRV to a brass steeple cab. Just kinda goes with the territory.

Um, what reverse loop problems? There aren't any with both rails being the same polarity.

Have you ever run a trolley? I have, and trust me it doesn't take much to damage some pans and poles. For example, when a pole pops off the wire, it tends to spin a bit. It wouldn't take long for a pole to be flipped over backwards and wedged under a catenary bridge. When a pan pops off the wire, it will hit the next catenary bridge and crash stop the train if it keeps going. Since I've had to resolder a couple over the years, it's no fun. It actually got the point where we detached the roof of our brass steeple cab and applied it back on with a bit of velcro. When it snagged, it only popped the roof off (and this is with live overhead!). But that was when our overhead was built, it was built for poles only. We modified it for pans, but obviously we didn't modify it enough. LOL BTW, derailing was not really a problem. Oh, sure, we had a lot of them (street running and all), but the poles usually stayed on the wire during a derailment.
Pac Man skriver:

Or with DCC and dead overhead wire.
Klaus

being
Well, you still have to have an auto-reverser with 2-rail DCC...just not with live overhead with both rails the same polarity. Put it this way, live overhead with both rails the same polarity is just like old 3-rail Lionel in that reverse loops pose no electrical problems. Why? Because the inside and outside rails never change polarity.
Pac Man,
Thankyou for your discussion, I enjoy it. I also appriciate your experiance. You answered my questions proving to me you know what you are doing and not comming in bliond. So I expect your application of DCC will work.
I have a 4x8 tramway I were building with another person. It got to the platered street stage. It was to be overhead driven with both rails joined as the one polarity.
Buy we have drifted apart, the tramway stored. I have one 4-wheel tram for it, never used. So your situation is very interesting. Wiring this tramway would be easier under DCC.
The technical gurus may work out some sort of biased supply tied to the DCC that used the catenary and if you depole a relay cuts the loco's power ( but that adds alot of complexity to the layout, when it is fairly simple to switch the catenary as well as the track , as needed.
Wish you well, and do come back to tell us how it goes practically !!
Regards, David Head

How long has it been for a good ON TOPIC thread on r.m.r? Seems like forever... LOL

Your welcome. :-) And it should work *if* you spend a lot of effort on your wire. You should try to get good wire (I think we used Nickle-Silver wire) and stretch it tight when soldering. The NMRA should have a bunch of trolley info in their Standards and RP's on their website (of course, USA practice, but still should be good).

Are you going to be running standard equipment under the wire? Ie, steam, diesels, etc.? Or just trolley?

Wow. An interesting solution. But I think I'd rather a big toggle, as when the pole pops off by accident, wouldn't it keep the trolley running? Or short it out if you've wired both wheels on the trolley the same polarity.

OK. We're just getting into the rail laying stage and getting to the point where we can add catenary to our first section.
Pac Man wrote:

That why it's stored until I get the other guy back or I sell it. The other guy had lots of trams, I were more interesting in the layout as such.

Trams & trolly 99%. American or Aussie, the guy had a few models. Todaty it is stored. Until I get reconnect with the guy it is stored, for if I try to sell it, he get 55% as he put money into it as well, ie it is not mine, I'm the custodian.
Regards, David Head