DCC - why not?

Dale spake thus:

Actually, you can. Without even knowing you, from what you've written, I can tell you that you *could* build it. At least the source end: the power supply, booster and control unit. (OK, you'd probably end up using an old PC as the control unit, and having to do some programming.) There are plenty of circuit designs floating around the Internet, and parts are readily available.
What you can't (easily) build are the decoders, but those are available pretty cheaply anyhow. So maybe scratchbuilders can be satisfied with DCC as well.
--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

You know, I almost asked about that. The most I ever got interested in adding computers to a layout was from Linn Wescott's series in MR using a TRS-80 :) Maybe I'm just anti-new technology. Being an extra-class ham and all I could probably solder something together. But even in that hobby, I prefer vacuum tubes and manual telegraph keys. Perhaps I'm not juat very well adjusted to living in the modern world. Maybe that's also why I seek refuge in long-defunct railroads.

Maybe a few acorn tubes and tubular capacitors can be squeezed into the tender of an HO gauge 4-4-0 afterall :)
Thanks. I really will go search to see just what I might be able to build myself. But I still think this hobby is a very individualized one, so if somebody doesn't want to use DCC, they don't need to justify that choice to anybody else.
Dale
Dale spake thus:

Hmm; dunno about that, but it occurs to me it might not be a totally crazy idea to use tubes to make a booster: essentially a power amplifier driven by the controller. So if you were willing to allow some newfangled technology onto your layout, you might be able to drive the thing with a tube amp, stepped down to track voltage. Think of it as an "audiophile" setup.
By the way, a Trash-80 or even a Sinclair would supply more than enough computing power to drive the whole thing.

No, of course not.
--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

If you really want to follow this up start from <http://www.merg.org.uk/resources/dcc.htm where you will find circuits and plans for all the bits you need. Tried and tested, my layout runs on them.
Keith

Great site. Thank you very much!
Dale

<snip>
yeah maybe we can. I love scratchbuilding : cars , buildings, scenery, locos. To me building decoders or power packs isn't scratchbuilding, it's electronics, another aspect of the hobby. Perfectly valid but not my cup of coffee. I love to pull my scratch built cars around by a dcc controled locomotive. Jb
Peter Prewett wrote:

For DC control, I would only wire 1 block for your Tumut terminus. That's all you need for prototypical operation in this case. Isolate a second locomotive by using route wiring. No need for isolating blocks for this specific prototype. Beyond the home signal a second block would start. Tumut is a simple layout to control using DC block or DC cab control. The wiring is going to be simple for either way, DC or DCC if you wire for reliable operation.
Terry Flynn
http://angelfire.com/clone/rail/index.html
HO wagon weight and locomotive tractive effort estimates
DC control circuit diagrams
HO scale track and wheel standards
Any scale track standard and wheel spread sheet
Well, it's mainly because my layout's still on the drawing board at the moment. Having said that, I do have DCC conversion in mind for a future date, once the system functions as well as it can on DC. That way any teething troubles with the trackwork, etc. can be worked out before the investment in an expensive DCC system. I'm also buying only DCC-compatible locos. As I'm modelling in N scale, and only have a very small fleet, the initial outlay shouldn't be too expensive. But another sticking point is that the only retailers in my local area (In Australia) stock the Bachmann system. But when I do go to DCC, I'd probably use the Atlas system.