derailment question

I have a lifelike loco that frequently derails. I have taken a close look at what happens when it derails, and it appears the torque of the driving wheels is lifting the bogie they are part of. As a result the forward most set of wheels (depending on the direction of travel) lift up to the point where their flanges leave the track. The problem is most apparent if the loco is pushing a train, or for some reason has a bit more than normal load (eg an extra long train or pulling up an incline). Without a train attached it can run over my track at any speed no problems whatsoever (although watching it closely the wheels will lift a little, but not enough to derail). I'm inclined to think that this would be caused by the loco being too light or not having enough of it's weight over the driving wheels - would this be a pretty safe assumption?

Reply to
Graham Fountain

Dear Sir:

Which LL loco is this? Is it 8-wheel drive or is it the 4-wheel turbo power truck drive? Or is it one of their extremely wacky older drives with the bastard Pittman motor? If it is a power truck drive, is it the front or rear truck that is powered?

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

I have a couple of Proto2000 GP9s which had a similar problem: the wheel list was actually audible as a sort of "click." It turns out that problem was improper gear sets (backlash) from Lifelike; the;y replaced them when I emailed them: for free in 2 days.

Ed

in article DCIaf.287$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au, Graham Fountain at snipped-for-privacy@and.find.out wrote on 11/4/05 4:37 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Model Railroader had an article on solving this problem with a larger scale loco that had the pivot point for the trucks very high. The trucks would move forward under the pivot, lifting the front axle. The solution was to lower the pivot point. It was a lot easier in the large scale than it will be for you, but it might be possible.

Reply to
LyleStephens

Graham

I would say that you have a split gear on the axle that is binding a causing the truck to kick up. It can also make an audible click as the loco moves. It is a common problem with some LL locos. Pop the axle retainer clip off the bottom of the truck and pull out the axles assembly. If the wheels/axles turn freely in the gear they are split. You can replace them with LL or Athearn blue box gears fit. (part # 60024 for a pack of six).

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Nichols