Making a Train Lift

Just wondering if anybody has done this. A horizontal traverser is common on an exhibition layout but has anybody ever made a lift to a lower level storage area. Due to dropping a b*****k in my calculations I have not allowed a long enough area for an incline to a low level storage area. I was thinking that if I could build some sort of mechanism, pulleys or gears to lift or lower a section of track I could have something like the Waterloo & City lift although I want to do a loco and 5 coach train all at the same time.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Pulleys or gears sounds fraught with difficulty - it'll be swinging about, one corner will be down, etc, etc.

How about having the lifting traverser (?) on a pair of parallel arms (like a parallel ruler, turned on its edge) which will lift it back and down (or forward and up, if you want)?

R.

Reply to
Richard

Have a look at:

Doug Cowan

How about something like the scissors car jack? What distance are you lifting through? Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

Peter Denny of Buckingham etc fame, made a working vertical lift. It is described in the Wild Swan book about his experiences in modelling. It appears to be mainly built of ply with meccano parts for the mechanisim. It was probably first printed in RM sometime in the 1970s or early 80s.

Regards, Greg.P.

snipped-for-privacy@mwfree.net wrote:

Reply to
Greg Procter

The height of the lift will be about 5 inches, 2.5 ins to allow clearance for the train and 2.5 ins to allow for the depth of the baseboard. I probabley need to add on a bit to give me access to deal with derailments etc but 5 ins in the minimum. The lift above looks interesting but a bit elaborate for my needs I think but at least it has been done before.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

I hadn't thought of that, might need to counterbalance it in some way to prevent a sudden drop.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Call me daft but, my wife is a pharmacy technician and she has a piece of machinery at her place of work call a 'Pharmatrieve' this is effectively a cylindrical drum with floating shelves that stay level as the drum turns. I've been thinking that a similar piece of kit could act as, not only a train lift, but also a multi train storage area. The docking of such a device would be relatively easy to acheive using a Geneva gear or a stepper motor controller. I am not sure how big it would need to be (diameter wise) but I would think 12" or so would suffice for 5 trains (arranged in a hexagonal pattern around the drum) giving 3" clearance on each track.

HTH

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Just discovered that there is a video clip of the lift in action.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

WOW. Not what I would ever think of doing, but that IS impressive. The video is average though... But I guess you want to not limit to just Broadband users...?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

In message , Andrew writes

As you might imagine, our friends from the wrong side of the pond have been there before, and you can buy a ready-made "train elevator". Unfortunately it is a bit pricey, with a 6-foot version costing $480 + postage. However, you might be interested enough to take a look at their web site, which is at

Jane Sullivan

What about a Yorkshire Woodcraft spiral as advertised in the Toddler?

Reply to
Ed Callaghan

You will still need a hell of a lot of room for it. My attic layout has not shortage of long thin (20" wide) space but no large 36" square areas.

Wasn't there a chat a while back about derailments on helices, and what to do about runaway truck and coache and the like.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Such a lift was described in a Great Model Railroads article IIRC, two or three years ago. A whole section of the lower level was elevated to connect with the upper one. The maker used screw-rods and motors, but I can't recall all the details of power interlocking, track alignment, etc. Shouldn't be too hard to design from the above hints, if you really want one of your own. :-)

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

there is a site called :

make a train elevator which has good storage capacity, to my mind 6ft in length is a bit limited and it is pricey at around 250 sterling before duty but with a capacity of 7 trains maybe it's worth it.

Reply to
Richza

Wolf, maybe it was Dick Roberts article 'Going Up , the helix killer etc.' in the Model Railroad Planning 2001 that you are referring to? It was certainly a well engineered design and used a gravity operated safety gate across the layout access tracks.

Anyway maybe a search of the Model Railroader / Kalmbach publication site might reveal something? They may have a back-number or article copy facility.

Regards

Len

Reply to
Len

Correct. Looked good, but morer complex than I would attempt. But then I don't need this kind of device. A 13ft x 16" shelf with a passing track, a couple of yard tracks, and a couple of industrial spurs does for me.

Sofar. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Coincidentally I recently saw mention of such a device in Model Railroader, plus in the back pages an advertisement for a commercial unit (no, it wasn't cheap either). Unfortunately I don't have the edition of the magazine to hand so that's as much (or as little) help as I can offer.

Reply to
Chris White

I wouldn't call it daft at all. I'd been thinking of a similar device myself, albeit only about half a metre in length. I have a short shelf layout and was considering a traverser in place of the present storage roads. It occured to me something like you describe would offer more storage plus not needing to extend so far out of the front and back of the layout.

Another idea was a set of stacked carousels to hold locomotives when not in use on a exhibition layout, one member has an awful lot of locomotives. I started off thinking about using a turntable to save space and then thought why not make it move vertically as well as rotate.

The initial idea is as far as I've got in both cases.

Reply to
Chris White

Ther's an article on building a vertical-lift/stacker in the Iain Rice book 'Mainlines in Modest Spaces (page 35)

(kim)

Reply to
kim