loco shakes

I have an n scale bachman loco, that i beleive is called an 0-6-0. It is a steam engine. I noticed that it shakes like hell all over the track. At first I thought that the track was uneven, but it shakes everyewhere. I removed the little rubber thingies in the front wheels. It still shakes like hell but tracks better and doesn't derail. I ordered a lifelike diesel for $16.00 from lifelike. Will this solve some of my problems?

By the way, I have posted several questions over the last month and people have very graciously responded. Thanks to all. Also, I have built a table for my setup that doubles as my desk with a cover. It is a neat space saver idea. I'll try to post some pictures later today. Thx,

Andres

Reply to
andresmuro

Not an N scaler, but the "little rubber thingies" are called "traction tires/tyres" and, unfortunately, are needed to stop the loco from wobbling and provide traction.

The other problem is, it's Bachmann.

Next time, buy a more expensive quality loco. Ask on here or at your local hobby store for suggestion for good quality locos and rolling stock. Cheap prices = cheap locos. Be wary of that Life-Like purchase as well, you may be setting yourself up for more disappointment.

For quality you're probably looking at the $100 starting price.

N scalers will, hopefully, correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Thanks Roger, that is what I thouhgt. However, in the case of my loco they seemed to make the loco jump more. When I took them out, the loco started to jump less. It can still pull some cars up a hill. I read a lot of reviews of LL. They all say that they are the best bang for the buck. Good quality and affordable. The one that I got is directly from LL. The original price is $50, and it was selling for $16. I thought that it was the nicest looking one. It is called the G20 and it is the Union Pacific. They also have a few cars at $1.50. They usually sell for $7.00. I hope that it solves the problem. I'll let you know when I get them.

I read that if I get serious, I will have to start upgrading to Atlas or Kato. However, I am barely getting into the hobby, so I am making small investments to have fun. thx again,

andres

Reply to
andresmuro

Andres!

The Lifelike GP20 is actually a very nice little engine. I have several of them and have not had any problems with any. Atlas is great, but the newer Lifelikes (the ones with the split frame, like the GP20) are right up there with them. Easy to convert to MicroTrain couplers later on too.... By the way, have you tried ordering from Big Al (" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com")? He has great prices and absolutely the best service. E-mail him and ask for his n-scale list. FWIW, Botchmann will replace your loco with a new one for $15.00 if you send it to them. Of course, it will still be a botchmann..

Have fun in the hobby..

Franz

Reply to
Franz T

Andres wrote: I have an n scale bachman loco, that i beleive is called an 0-6-0. It is a steam engine. I noticed that it shakes like hell all over the track. At first I thought that the track was uneven, but it shakes everyewhere. I removed the little rubber thingies in the front wheels. It still shakes like hell but tracks better and doesn't derail. I ordered a lifelike diesel for $16.00 from lifelike. Will this solve some of my problems? By the way, I have posted several questions over the last month and people have very graciously responded. Thanks to all. Also, I have built a table for my setup that doubles as my desk with a cover. It is a neat space saver idea. I'll try to post some pictures later today. Thx,

------------------------------------------------- The Life-Like GP20 is a fine locomotive. I have found that all the made in China Life-Like locomotives (1990-present) are well made ad offer good traction. You should find them at good prices. As for the Bachmann

0-6-0, these are not heavy enough even with the traction tires, to pull many cars. There is little space to add any weight. Good luck with you railroad. I look forward to seeing the photos.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

With an 0-6-0 or any steam loco with no pilot or trailing truck, they did tend to "swagger" a bit down the track. I am talking the prototype as well as a model.

Reply to
John Franklin