switch machine troubles

Atlas remote switch machines are giving me trouble. They keep getting stuck. They don't switch completely and I have to press the button several times back and forth to get it to engage. sometimes I have to wait several seconds. I found that loosening the screws helps making the machines work better. Also, one of my switch machines does not switch in one direction period. Are these problems common? Are there replacemnt switch machines that work better? Any suggestions? THX, Andres

Reply to
andresmuro

Hi Andres,

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com schrieb:

There is an alternative to "classic" switch machines: its called silent drive and uses a rc servo. Have a look at

The site is partly available in english. If you hava any questions ask me :-).

Regards, Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Harders

Did you recently put ballast near the switches? Check for 'stuff' in the way of the points and stock rails. On hte one that only throws one way, try switching the wires and see if it throws. If it does, you have a broken wire. If it does not, then you have burnt out the coil for that side and need to replace the motor. All twin coil switch motors have the problem that if you hold the button down for too long, you will burn out the coil.

For replacements: I use the Tortoise Switch motors made by Circuirtron. They are fairly easy to set up and wire. They are farily tall, about 4 inches, and need that type of room under the layout.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

This suggests that the turnouts are fastened down too tightly, and/or incorrectly installed, and/or that something is interfering with the throw-bar under the track. Try the following:

a) Loosen the nails or screws holding down the turnout. If necessary, drill new holes. The nail head should be just slightly above the tie, so that the turnout can't move, but isn't distorted by pressure from the nail.

b) Make sure the switchmachine is properly clicked into the tabs near the screws that hold it in place. Bad connections here will distort the switchmachine, causing the symptoms you describe. This is most likely to happen when you install switchmachine on turnouts that came woithout them.

c) Check under the throwbar area of the turnout - there should be plenty fo room for the throwbar to move. You may have to cutca shallow groove in the ballast strip/tabletop.

d) If you ballasted the track recently, it's possible that some glue or ballast got into the wrong place(s). Remove the turnout, clean it and the area thoroughly, reinstall, and ballastt _very_ carefully. You may have to toss the turnout if it's heavily infested with ballast - sorry.

Loose or broken wire. Switch the wires - if the problem persists, it may be in the wiring betrween power pack and switch amcine, or in the swirchmachine itself. It's easiest to test the switchmachine: remove it, and test it with test leads connected directly to your power pack. If it doesn't work, I'd advise junking it - opening it up and fixing it is a chore, trust me. If it's good, you'll have to trace the wiring from the turnout to the power pack until you find the fault.

In my experience, properly installed Atlas switchmachines are very reliable.

Any of the switchmachines listed in Walthers catalog will work as well or better than Atlas - but _all_ of then require careful installation, and adjustment, just like Atlas machines.

Any suggestions? THX,

Um, you could look for an experienced model railroader who lives nearby and is willing to help you out. Not only will you get things working right, you will also find a friend. :-)

HTH&GL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Reply to