Difference between GE C44-9 and a C44-9W?

Can anyone tell me the difference in appearance of the cab between a GE C44-9 and a C44-9W. I know the number boards are located in different places, but what are the other differences?

Regards,

Britt Harrington

Reply to
FBritt

Britt,

They're one and the same; the difference only arises out of different railroads' using one nomenclature or the other. The "W" was frequently found in the early days of the comfort cab, when it was offered as an option. Now that said cab is standard, with the conventional as an extra-cost option, the widebody suffix is dropped from the designation.

The location of the numberboards is a customer-specified option, as are things like headlight placement, the seats, etc.

Dieter Zakas

Reply to
Hzakas