faller car system

Would anyone here have any experience with the Faller Car System? Im trying to figure out how it works from their site but dont read german hehehe

any clues anyone???

franko

Reply to
frank scott

From what I've seen and read, the vehicles have a battery and motor in them, they are charged in a charger and then placed on the road where a feeler/magnet on the front bottom of the vehicle follows a guide wire which either you can place down and then plaster over or use the pre-built road system. They will run from 5 to 7 hours straight on a charge. What I find really interesting about the system is the use of magnets and electric coil magnets (I think) to make the vehicles stop for red lights or trains, pull into bus stops, gas stations or parking spots

replace spam with to

Reply to
dilligaf

What would you like to know? The cars/trucks/buses have coreless motors and Nicad rechargable cells. They have Ackermann steering with a tiny magnet on an arm that follows an iron wire laid under the road surface. They ran a little fast (scale 60 kmhr) for 1-2 hours on a full charge. The current models contain a reed switch that can stop the vehicle over an electro magnet. (the earliest ones didn't) They are quite expensive. They use bodies from various vehicle manufacturers - Brekina, Viking, Herpa etc.

150mm radius.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Hi there

The Hamburg Miniature Wonderland - the largest H0 scale layout in Europe - has implemented an extensive Faller car system in the layout. Though the site is in German, I'm sure you will get a good idea of what you can do with the system looking at the fine pictures. Yes, I know this is not exactly what you ask for, but have a look anyway ;-)

The site:

The Car system gallery:
The H0 train gallery:
Best regards Padillos

"frank scott" skrev i en meddelelse news:3f1b659f snipped-for-privacy@news.iprimus.com.au...

Reply to
Padillos

Good English description:

info off the home page:
For other sites in English go to
search for the exact phrase "faller car system", and specify English as the language.

An older system I have seen used is to have magnets on an endless belt or chain beneath the road surface, and magnets beneath the vehicles. They are not as smooth running, but will not catch up with each other!

Reply to
MartinS

thank you all for your replies.. i now have enough info to decide on a purchase. franko

Reply to
frank scott
60 skph is 38 smph. That would be protypical but probably too fast for the abreivated roads on most model railroads.

Eric

Gregory Procter wrote:

What would you like to know? The cars/trucks/buses have coreless motors and Nicad rechargable cells. They have Ackermann steering with a tiny magnet on an arm that follows an iron wire laid under the road surface. They ran a little fast (scale 60 kmhr) for 1-2 hours on a full charge. The current models contain a reed switch that can stop the vehicle over an electro magnet. (the earliest ones didn't) They are quite expensive. They use bodies from various vehicle manufacturers - Brekina, Viking, Herpa etc.

150mm radius.
Reply to
Eric

If you would lke to see some of the available parts for this system.Go to

Go to: Advanced search Enter:

272 in mfg block Enter: car in the description block There is about 160 listings. Prices have jumped with the Euro being worth more than the US Dollar.

UNCLE YESTERDAY WAS TODAY IS TOMORROW WILL BE

Reply to
Richard P. Kubeck

Gosh, all very technical, I was pretty impressed by the old Minic Motorways system when I was a lad, a wealthy friend had some on his layout. Seem to remember a spring in a slot mechanism but cannot recall the details as I only saw it once and didnt get to play with it.

Reply to
Mike

60 Km/hr is something of a guess as each vehicle is slightly different in speed, but they all seem too fast for my liking. A diode between batteries and motor might help.
Reply to
Gregory Procter

Matchbox made the revolving spring in the slot vehicle roadway. It seems only to have been available for a short time, perhaps less than two years. "Minic" made proper slot cars for use with the Tri-ang trains.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter" A diode between batteries

I have seen this suggested before.

why a diode rather than a resistor?

ken " no electrics since "A" level 35 yrs ago" W

oh - i put a cotton pad to quieten a loudspeaker on a particularly annoying Tonka truck - what would have been the correct electrical bit for that?

Reply to
Ken Wilson

"Ken Wilson" wrote

A diode will reduce the effective voltage by a more of less fixed amount (about 0.6v) largely independent of the characteristics of the motor. The effect of a resistor depends on the motor and the load conditions and for say a 12v motor drawing maybe 200mA, a suitable resistor would be hard to find i.e. a few tens of Ohms and 1-2 watts. For a 3v motor drawing ~50mA this is less of a consideration but the choice of value is still a bit iffy. And suitable diodes are readily available and cheap and likely to be in any electronically inclined modeller's scrap box e.g. IN4001.

I've used Blu Tack to quieten a keyboard speaker when an obscure word processing program bleeped at me whenever it thought I'd made an error!

Reply to
Terry O'Brien

For every silicon diode you put in series (in the conducting direction) you drop 0.6v irrespective of the current in the circuit.... 2 diodes in series would be 1.2v and so on. Using a resistor to do the same job would require calculations as to the current flow to determine the value so diodes are a much simpler way of reducing the voltage to the device.

Reply to
TRC

I'm sure John Turner would concur with that solution!

Reply to
MartinS

A resistor will turn the energy it reduces to the motor directly into heat - there's not much open space inside an enclosed plastic vehicle body to disipate that heat. A diode "blocks" 0.7 volts and turns only a tiny fraction into heat. Also, the voltage lost across a resistor varies with the amount of current, so a vehicle going uphill will lose a disproportionate amount of speed and downhill it will gain lots.

Side cutters. ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Ken That is of course another very good use of diodes as they only pass current in one direction. When used as "buffer protectors" (as you put it) once the unit hits the section of track past the diode >>> It stops because current no longer flows through the units motor until you either put a short circuit around the diode to nullify the effect or reverse the polarity and the unit "backs out". If you have a unit that runs too fast as compared to other units put one or two diodes "back to back" between the track pick-ups & the motor ---- That reduces the voltage to the motor by 0.6v for each pair of diodes thus reducing the speed of that unit only. Very versatile cheap little devils those diodes.

Reply to
TRC

Not nearly as much!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

It is the same.

With the same voltage and current (across the diode or resistor) the diode will dissipate exactly the same power as a resistor = voltage x current.

The point of using a diode instead or a resistor is to control the voltage drop which with a diode is roughly constant. It has nothing to do with their power dissipation characteristics.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

"Gregory Procter" wrote

Exactly as much except in special cases such as LEDs where a small part of the energy is transformed into light. If you can demonstrate otherwise, the world of science would most interested in an exception to the law of conservation of energy.

Reply to
Terry O'Brien