Gil Reid - R.I.P.

Railroad watercolor artist Gil Reid passed away on January 2 at the age of 88. Gil was a former Art Director at Kalmbach Publishing.
http://www.gilreid.com/
Mark Mathu wrote:

Mark, I'm very sorry to hear this. Mr. Reid was probably my favourite US railroad watercolor artist. A very talented man.
Rest in peace.
Mark.
Sad he died. His paintings however were WAY over rated. No sense of motion just lines and linear. Only Kalmbach kepy hyping them cause they got money from them.
Mark Newton wrote:

So post some links to your paintings so we can compare.

Do you contact movie critics and tell them to show us their movie so we can compare?

No, because I don't read reviews from movie critics. They play the same pathetic game as art critics, political commentators etc, i.e. "my opinion means more than yours".
See the art, or the film, or whatever, and decide for yourself if you like it.

Gosh, better tell Consumer Reports. They should close their doors immediately! LOL
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net spake thus:

Well, guess what, pal: some people's opinions *do* mean more than yours or mine. Like if they happen to know more about the subject than the average moron: that's how one gets to be a critic.
Isn't this thread getting way tooo self indulgent? Trashing his work before he is in the ground is petty. Celebrating his life and being gracious at his passing seems appropriate.
CTucker NY
Yes nobody who has ever not done something can ever say anything about anything else right? Politics, hey if you were not elected shut up Movies, what did you produce? Trains, what models did you make?
Please no spam

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com wrote:

And that's the sole criteria for judging the worth of his paintings, or the man's talent?
EDIT: I considered discussing the topic of Gil Reid's art sensibly with Curt, but after reading his last post to the "Merry Christmas" thread, I can see that would be a waste of time...
I think this painting are over rated that is it. How else do you judge a painting other than your own eyes? If he had not worked for Kalmbach who hyped his work to make money themselves, he would not be seen as such a great painter. Publicity does not equal greatness.
Mark Newton wrote:

Why are you so bitter? A man died and you are compelled to denigrate his life work with a few comments of personal opinion. Being gracious at the time of a person's passing would demonstrate much more class than your opinions on his style. Frankly I can't resist: go crawl back in your hole.

You are saying to be classy by not being classy?? Always love the guys on the internet boards who tell others to act the exact opposite of what they do
Carl Saggio wrote:

And I always love anonymous guys on the internet that trash recently deceased people on a thread labled "RIP". Now that's class!
I am not trashing anyone you are making that up I am not trashing his paintings I am saying his paintings were overrated which is very much a class thing to say "Paul"
Pac Man wrote:

Puh-leeze. You trashed him. You said, "Only Kalmbach kepy hyping them cause they got money from them." So you were in effect saying that Gil Reid wasn't a good enough artist to be popular on his own, he was only popular because Kalmbach forced his art on the masses because he worked for them. Ding! That's one on the "trash"-meter.

You said, "No sense of motion just lines and linear." C'mon. An architectural drawing is "just lines and linear". Ding! That's two on the "trash"-meter.

You didn't just say they were overrated, you said, "His paintings however were WAY over rated." Note that "SHOUTING" part of your quote? And you're doing this all on a "Rest In Piece" labeled thread. Ding! That's three on the "trash"-meter. Let me ask you, do you routinely go to wakes and funerals and tell the family and friends that they're loved one's work was "WAY overrated"? Just classless, man. You want to be critical of his work? Start a new thread. And you're doing this trashing under the name of an old time poster "Curt Mc"...the same guy from the Atlas Forum. I note we still don't know your name..."curtmchere". Oh, and if you doubt my existance as "Paul", be assured I'm using my real name. Go ahead, look me up (hint: I'm in Massachusetts).
Pac Man wrote:

So, he's a nutter, but he's not the person he claims to be? I was wondering about that. I'd seen posts by Curt Mc on other forums, and couldn't reconcile them with the drivel posted here under that name.
Cheers,
Mark.
Sad to hear someone who's meant a lot to railroading pass away, irregardless of what some on here would say. Question: didn't he also do a few regular non-painting related articles for MR as well (you know, layout articles and such)?
--
de N2MPU Jack
Modeling the NYC/NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail/D&H in N
Jack wrote:

Yes. His series on designing and building the Portage Hill and Communipaw was a landmark IMO. It ushered in the "project railroad", although it took a while for MR to realise that's what a lot their newbie readers wanted.