Greg, Mark and Wayne. PLEASE take your rant elsewhere !

If you guys want to argue , go elsewhere . This is a model railroad group and was a good one ,but you guys are ruining it.
All of you should have learned long ago how stupid and fruitless it is to argue politics...or religion , but as Forest gump said "stupid is as stupid does" and you all are certainly proving that.
Ken

Killfiles are your friend.
Paul -- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.
Working the rockie road of the G&PX
ken day wrote:

Who?
On 11/1/2007 9:08 PM marknewton spake thus:

The movie /Forrest Gump/ (http://imdb.com/title/tt0109830 /).
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:11:07 -0800, David Nebenzahl

In UK Cockney rhyming slang, 'Forest (Gump)' = dump. Could be appropriate :-)
Jim.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Aah... Ken relies on the wit and wisdom of a fictional character to make his point. That really cuts me to the quick! :-)

Your assumption that a fictional character can't have anything relevant to say, or that using such a quote is somehow not up to your standards tells us a lot about you.
P. Roehling wrote:

Yes. It says that Mark is intolerant of fictional arguments. Pity some people here are so keen on creating fictional arguments.

Uh, no, sorry, that's not what he's telling us.
P. Roehling wrote:

Uh, yeah, it is.
Or do you presume to speak on my behalf?

All we can go on is your own words, and if that was what you intended to convey, you said it very poorly. As my high school English teacher used to say: "If people misunderstand what you wrote, it's not their problem, it's yours. Communication is the writer's job and anything else is failure."
So exactly what, pray tell, is a "fictional argument"?
P. Roehling wrote:

I'm not the person who wrote that - why address the question to me?
Eddie Oliver wrote:

I'd hazard a guess and say that Roehling doesn't win many real ones, so the fictional ones are his way of compensating.

Nobody "wins" an argument on Usenet, and people who love to indulge in long drawn-out arguments need to get another hobby. (Something like trains would be nice.)
P. Roehling wrote:

It is, but it's not my only hobby. Chiacking septics is another.
P. Roehling wrote:
> Nobody "wins" an argument on Usenet, and people who love to indulge > in long drawn-out arguments need to get another hobby.
And yet you're happy to indulge yourself, at least in those arguments that can turn on semantics - you seem to shy away from those requiring knowledge or facts.
"P. Roehling" wrote:

Perhaps you should start some discussions about model railways - I for one am always interested in the subject.
P. Roehling wrote:
> >> Aah... Ken relies on the wit and wisdom of a fictional character to >> make his point. That really cuts me to the quick! :-) > > Your assumption that a fictional character can't have anything > relevant to say...
Of course a fictional character cam have something relevant to say - a good example would be Atticus Finch. (I was stoked to see Harper Lee honoured with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.)
What I should have written was "Ken relies on the wit and wisdom of a fictional character from a maudlin, overly sentimental B-grade movie to make his point".
Mind you, little of what this character Gump said could be described as wisdom. Banal aphorisms seem to have been his speciality.
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:26:10 +1100, marknewton wrote:

Richly deserved; but it would have been nicer if it wasn't Bush's only positive civil rights move.
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

Yeah, I was surprised to some extent by this award - I wonder who was the real instigator?