Zephyr controller

I'm looking for a used Digitrax Zephyr DCC controller... not the entire set but just the DCS50. Other than the factory, does anyone know where I might find one?

Carter Braxton

Reply to
Carter Braxton

I'm looking for just the DCS50 only because I already have the Empire Builder system but it can't read decoders like the Zephyr and the Super Chief systems can. I want a DCS50 just for programming.

Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Chief systems can. I want a DCS50 just for programming.<

Are there economics involved? Otherwise at better purchase might be the Chief (DCS100). What throttle do you currently have?

Reply to
Jon Miller

Yes, there are economics... I'm a 1-man operation and as it is, the Empire Builder is overkill for me... I should have bought the Zephyr in the first place as it does all I need but I thought I'd upgrade in case I built a bigger system later. Now I'm looking for an economial way to add the readback feature.

Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

The most economical may be to connect your programming track to your computer and use the JMRI to read it.

The JMRI software is freeware. However, I don't know enough about it to know for certain if it can read a loco by using the Empire Builder as the "brain". Contact them at the above website and ask 'em. If it does read 'em, then all you need to fork over is the cost of the Loconet connector to you computer, which looks like it's anywhere from $45 (MS100) to $64 (LocoBuffer-USB at Tony's:
Oh, and you must have Java on your computer for it to work.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

computer and use the JMRI to read it.<

While I'm the world's greatest believer in DP his boster is a DB150, no readback!

Reply to
Jon Miller

Carter, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the SPROG II as a possible alternative. It's (more or less) a small DCC command station with programming ability. More info here:

The SPROG II does require a computer and software to operate, but since it's not a part of the layout's DCC system you can set up a programmming track, even a temporary one, on your computer desk.

JMRI is the software of choice, and as already mentioned, it's free. It does a *lot* of other stuff besides decoder programming, and it's continually being improved and refined:

Java, which JMRI requires, was also mentioned, but almost as if it was a Bad Thing. It isn't really, other than liking a lot of memory. It will readily run on an older computer that's been "demoted" to railroad duty. If you dig around on the Java Web site you can still find versions for rather old OS's. They aren't supported any more, but that doesn't mean they won't work. It just means that Sun won't help you if it breaks.
Oh, and one other thought: Sell the DB150 and use the proceeds towards a Zephyr or DCS100.

HTH, Steve

Reply to
Stevert