Looking for Zephyr

Does anyone know of a used Digitrax Zephyr unit for sale? I have the Empire Builder but I want to add the Zephyr DCS 50 so I can get decoder readout. I don't need the entire system... just the DCS 50. Carter Braxton

Reply to
Carter Braxton

I'm assuming you're going to use the Zephyr as the command station and for the programming track, and continue to power the layout with the EB. Remember that you'll also need a power supply, unless the one you currently use (no pun intended) for your EB has enough spare capacity. If that's the case (that you'll also need the power supply), you may be better off just getting a Zephyr starter set and taking advantage of the heavy discounting dealers are providing.

Why do I say that? Well, a quick look on that auction site shows only 2 Zephyrs right now. One is currently bid at $152.50, and while it claims to be new, the fine print says "store demo" so you don't know what kind of abuse it's taken. On the other hand, they are including a DT400.

The other one has a starting bid of $169.95, which is actually

*above* what it retails for ($159.95 @ Tony's, $159.89 @ Litchfield Station. And ISTR a sale price if $149.95 at the LHS a while ago.) Not surprisingly, that one hasn't received any bids yet.

So only a couple available, and with prices near or above retail. Sounds to me like they're in demand, with not many on the used market.

HTH, Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

Yes, you're right on every count... I'm going to use the Zephyr just for programming and I have a power source.

I've been watching ebay for months and have found only sets at or just below the regular retail price... no bargains... that's why I thought I'd ask the group... nothing to lose.

I'm hoping that someone out there has upgraded to the Empire Builder or the Super Chief and has their old Zephyr just sitting around taking up space. If they wanted to get rid of it for a ridiculously low price, I'd be happy to help take if off their hands. For what I intend to use it, it's not worth it for me to buy a new system... that's why I'm looking for something used... and cheap.

Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Well, I actually said "as the command station *and* for the programming track". That is, just use the EB as a booster and the Zephyr as the command station for both the layout and the programming track.

But if you're just looking for stand-alone, low-cost readback ability, how about the SPROG?

Absolutely! No need to leave a stone unturned. Along those lines, have you tried craigslist?

I think most of them end up either on the workbench as a stand-alone system, being sold at near-new pricing, or used just as you intend. That's one of Digitrax's strengths, that you don't have to throw anything away if/when you upgrade.

Good luck with that! (See above)

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

Hi

[...]

Or you could build one yourself using srcpd in DDL mode , a PC, a cheap booster (e.g. a Maerklin Delta 6604 ) and DIY readback circuit (manual in German ) for just few dollars.

David

Reply to
David Rütti