Help! Paintwork

I have inherited a Far East brass model with a superb paintjob - unfortunately the foam packaging has perished and some has now stuck to the
paintwork like glue.
Anyone any ideas for getting this gunk off without ruining the paint job?
On 11/17/2008 9:13 AM JW spake thus:

Scrape it off, *carefully*. I'd use my opti-visors or other high-magnification aid, use a small sharp scraper, maybe first use a piece of wood or something else that won't harm the paint. There will probably be some ppaint damage in any case, requiring touch-up (or maybe weathering?).
David Nebenzahl wrote:

NO!
First try cleaning it in vinegar. That and a toothbrush works wonders. Then evaluate what else needs to be done.
Howard Garner
On 11/17/2008 12:37 PM Howard Garner spake thus:

I guess that would be better, and less potentially destructive to the paint. Actually, not sure why vinegar would help dissolve old foam: how about just plain water to start? That won't hurt anything, as long as it doesn't get into the mechanism or bearings.
JW wrote:

Try water first.. It may be enough to soften the old dried foam. Next test "goof off" on the under chassis to see if it affects the paint. If not. Use Goof off lightly. Mike