Hey Pac Man

A question on your tagline, Weather Or No Go New Haven.

Did you make that up or was it actually used by the NYNH&H ?

If you make it up, it puts you in the same class as Darren Stevens!

Best Regards,

DAvid

remove the nospam to reply.

Reply to
DaveW

It was actually used by the New Haven, as they had a bunch of slogans. In fact, you can still make it out on the RR bridge in my neighborhood. Sure, the bridge is all rusty and hasn't been painted (except for graphitti) in 50 years or so, but the letters are still quite visible. I used to walk to elementary school every day under that bridge, and that bridge's construction resulted in the extension of my street that I grew up on. So, I'm kinda partial to it.

Who is Darren Stevens?

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven ************* Train Yourself To Relax ************* The Aristocrat of New England Transportation ************* The Key To New England ************* etc.
Reply to
Pac Man

The "Weather or No Go New Haven" slogan was more than a slogan. It was a statement of reality in the late 60s.

I remember more than once being on a moving New Haven train, paralleling I 95 in Connecticut,in miserable icy snowy weather, at Christmas or New Years going from Boston to NYC or vice versa, watching the massive traffic jams on I 95 from the weather. Both Logan and LaGuardia were often closed, so the Eastern Airlines shuttle was not running.

But the much maligned New Haven got through. Late, sure, but late was better than never in that weather.

Darren Stevens was the name of the advertising copy writer husband character in the "Bewitched" TV show, IIRC.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

That's cool! I caught the slogan on your tag line and did a google search for it, everything I came up with was something from you! Although, as a Californian, I'm partial mostly to the SP and AT&SF, I have a soft spot for the New Haven and the NYC. They were just class acts from what I can see.

Must be another of those things that never made the internet, like the Milwaukee Road "slow to 90" sign.

Darren aka Derwood, aka Darwin, aka Dumbdumb, was Samantha Stevens husband in Bewitched. He was an advertizing executive for McMahan and Taite. Played by Dick York and later, Dick Sargent. Of course, they were on the Erie, I think, being in Patterson, NJ.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW