[HO] Athearn (ex-MDC) 50' FMC DD Boxcar

Model Die Casting had an 50' FMC double door boxcar in their catalog - #1980.

Now that MDC and Athearn have been rearranged under Horizon Hobby ownership... did this carbody make it into Athearn's current catalog?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Not seeing a response... and not seeing the model in Athearn's current on-line catalog:

I suspect that the ex-MDC 50' double-door FMC boxcar kit has been retired -- especially considering that Athearn already has a 50' exterior post double door boxcar in their line-up.

(The Athearn model is similar, but has a different number of posts and panels on each side of the door opening. I'm not sure how the ends and roof of the Athearn double door boxcar compare to the MDC model.)

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"Not seeing a response... and not seeing the model in Athearn's current on-line catalog:

I suspect that the ex-MDC 50' double-door FMC boxcar kit has been retired -- especially considering that Athearn already has a 50' exterior post double door boxcar in their line-up.

(The Athearn model is similar, but has a different number of posts and panels on each side of the door opening. I'm not sure how the ends and roof of the Athearn double door boxcar compare to the MDC model.)"

I see three types of Dbl Door OB 50' on the website.

  1. Athearn 7/7 panel sides

  1. old MDC 5/8 panel sides FMC [offset doors]

[ATH92921] [ATH92922] [ATH92923] [ATH92924] [ATH92925] [ATH92926] [ATH92927] [ATH92928] [ATH92929] [ATH92930] [ATH92931] [ATH92932]

  1. Illustrated sides ala the old MDC site [they have 4/8 panel sides]

Eric

Reply to
Eric

The old MDC #1950 boxcar had double doors centered on the side of the boxcar, and six panels on each side of the door opening.

Here is a model image:

Here is a prototype image of a similar car:

I don't see anything that resembles the ex-MDC double door FMC boxcar in Athearn's current product list.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

My apologies... the catalog number of MDC's 50' FMC double door boxcar was #1980 (as I stated in my original message), not #1950 as I just wrote. The link I gave to the model image was correct -- the MDC #1980 model.

Reply to
Mark Mathu