How Small Radius Can An 0-4-0 Go?

Greg Procter wrote:

In both cases (the truck-mounted couplers and the 2-wheeled A-frame) the pull on each car's coupler is kept at right angles to its axle. I can almost see the 1940's style 3-color ad that proclaims how Mantua's new trucks use the very same principle as the most modern piece of prototype railway equipment...did I just say 'railway'? Time to lay off the Model Engineer magazines for a while.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

I have a 1940s US model railway book which says that the term "railroad" is used by 2/3rds of US railways and the term "railway" is used by the other 1/3rd. As India also uses the term "Railway", we are in the majority in the english speaking world!
Regards, Greg.P. NZ
Greg Procter wrote:

You might want to note that it was common practice back in the day, when a particular road went bankrupt, to name the new corporation Railway if it had been Railroad and vice versa.
For whatever reason, Railroad has been the preferred term in the USA, and AFAIK Canada.
It makes sense in that around the world, in the late 19th and early 20th century, when railways were being built, nearly all English speaking countries outside the USA were under British influence, if not actual colonies or members of the Commonwealth.
As far as it goes, it is extremely rare for anyone to use the term "bogie" in the USA. Too close to "bogus" which you certainly wouldn't want your trucks to be (snicker).
So long as we understand each other, it works.
Regards,
DAve

The only things that are called bogies in North America are the wheel/axle assemblies under semi-trucks and trailers, one-over-par golf shots, and unidentified aircraft. Nothing connected with railroading is called a bogie.
Bogart, OTOH, is a commonly used term, as in "Don't Bogart that (whatever)."
Froggy, Grateful Dead, CA. Froggy,
Froggy, @, thepond..com wrote:

Those assemblies that look like and work like railway bogies? ;-)

So THAT's what they're talking about! 8^O

Huhh?!?
Well yes, the two axle swivelling or flexible trucks are called bogies!

Who? What?

Greg Procter wrote:

snip
Please see:
Bogart, Humphrey, American motion picture actor. Appears in the Warner Brothers films Casablanca, The Malteese Falcon, The Big Sleep, To Have and Have Not, Key Largo, and many others.
Famous for smoking a cigarette almost constantly. (Died of lung cancer).
The term Bogart was made famous in the 1969 (1970? 1971?) Peter Fonda film Easy Rider.
Regards,
DAve
"Bob May" <

'Cause there's no bus?
-- Cheers Roger T.

I said in North America Greg. In North America they are called trucks, not bogies. Other parts of the world are different. When in Rome . . .

I guess that was too much of an "inside joke" to work. It is from a song by Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead "Don't Bogart That Joint, My Friend", which, I think, was from the movie "Easy Rider". "Bogart" means refusing to share, and "joint" is slang for a cigarette made with Cannabis Sativa instead of tobacco. . Froggy,
Froggy, @, thepond..com wrote:

No you didn't - try to remember that I'm a practicing pedant! ;-)

I'm not in North America and (I assume) you're not in Rome. :-)

I lost my Easy Rider LP at a party some time in the early 70s (sob) "Joint" is fairy universal but "bogart" doesn't take me past Casablanca.
Regards, Greg.P.

Yeah, well don't quit your day job just yet.;-) I clearly stated that I was limiting my statement to North America.
Here is that post: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The only things that are called bogies in North America are: the wheel/axle assemblies under semi-trucks and trailers, one-over-par golf shots, and unidentified aircraft. Nothing connected with railroading is called a bogie. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Notice that the opening phrase of the paragraph establishes that the reference is limited to North America. It isn't necessary to repeat that in the same paragraph. I can't make it any more obvious without incurring repetitious and repeated redundancy over and over again.

When in North America they are trucks. When in Christchurch, they are bogies. We all know what the words mean, and we all know what "When in Rome . . ." means.

It was Humphrey Bogart's screen characters that gave rise to the term. They seemed to perpetually be smoking a cigarette. There was always one in his hand. So then, Bogarting meant keeping it all to yourself all the time. Froggy,
Froggy, @, thepond..com wrote:

Yes, you definitely win that one! Obviously I need more practice at pedantry!

    Froggy @ thepond..com writes:

Froggy,
Take Greg at his word:
pedant - one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge
He applies his scant knowledge without thought. His pedantic ramblings are just who he is. Selectively choosing and distorting the facts to fit his predetermined point of view are just a by product of his condition.
Paul

Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania
and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information

Err no, that's "bogey".

Err no again. An unidentifiable aircraft is a called a "bogey".
-- Cheers Roger T.
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:29:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@pimin.rockhead.com (Paul Newhouse) wrote:

It's OK Paul. We're just having a bit of fun on a slow day. Don't take any of it too seriously. It may sound serious at times, but it's nothing much more than repartee for amusement's sake. Froggy,
Froggy, @, thepond..com wrote:

It's just as Froggy says. The only serious bit was the question regarding US use/misuse of the term Talgo.
Regards, Greg.P.
Paul Newhouse wrote:

I see you're not prepared to put any original thought into this situation.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:08:51 GMT, Froggy wrote:

wrong - The Fraternity of Man

right
Know who did "The Weight" on the soundtrack?
--
Steve

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 03:03:01 GMT, Froggy wrote:

And let us not forget the wonderful Holy Modal Rounders ("If ya wanna be a bird ...")
And through them a genetic connection to The Fugs, with such wonderful albums as "It Crawled into My Hand, Honest", and great songs like "Wide, Wide River"
<< Wide, Wide, River is shi--kickers gospel music -- a true anthem of the times. It begins with a parable description of life: "I've been floating in this river of shi-/ Over twenty years and I'm gettin' tired of it/ But I've got to keep swimming in this river of shi-, 'cause I don't want to die," and goes on to an anti-Vietnam rant. "Who was it that set up this system/ This supposedly democratic system/ Where we're always voting for the lesser of two evils/ Was George Washington the lesser of two evils?/ Sometimes I wonder. Some politicians say we've got to stop violence in this country/ While he's spending 15,000 dollars a second snuffing gooks." It concludes, "River of shi-, bringing health, wealth, and prosperity to every man, women, and child." >>
http://www.sonic.net/~goblin/FUGS.html
Yeah, roll on, big BROWN river!!
(somewhere near Wacko, TX?)
--
Steve

Froggy wrote:
> The only things that are called bogies in North America are the > wheel/axle assemblies under semi-trucks and trailers, one-over-par > golf shots, and unidentified aircraft. Nothing connected with > railroading is called a bogie.
There is one obvious exception to that. A Mason Bogie. :-)
mark_newton wrote:

A "Mason truck" would sound like a tradesman's vehicle!