IHC Hobby status?

I was looking for some IHC model train products, but their website, ihc-hobby.com, seems to be down. Is this a technical issue, or is there a problem there?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff in c-ville

Their main supplier, Mehanotechnika of Slovenia, declared bankruptcy last year. I don't know to what extent IHC is involved in that, but they haven't advertised in the magazines for several months.

HTH wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Jeff in c-ville wrote in news:a6aa4056-3c7a-4950- snipped-for-privacy@x15g2000vbr.googlegroups.com:

You've sparked my curiousity, and I started doing a little research. Apparently IHC is either closed or closing. It's too bad, really. I wanted to complain about a brand new locomotive with power pickups that looked like they were designed in the 1950's. (And probably was!)

Take a look here:

There's a few phone numbers here:
Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 1/11/2010 6:01 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

If it's true that they're kaput, I will miss them. I have several of their models, which are very good for the money I spent on them: an American 4-4-0, a GG-1, and a couple others I can't think of right now (as well as a bunch of their older stuff I picked up for next to nothing).

With a little work, someone like Twibil could probably make an IHC/Mehano model look like brass ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

IHC was the successor to AHM, which went broke sometime in the 70s IIRC. AHM pioneered what's now commonplace: offshore production. AHM imported cars made by Roco, beautiful body castings, still worth upgrading when you find them. Trucks and wheels were abominable, but are easily replaced.

AHM/IHC also imported Rivarossi locomotives. Eventually were Rivarossi went broke, and the contracts with AHM/IHC were terminated.) May be that was one reason for AHM's demise.) IHC sent some tooling to Mehanotehnika, and in the last couple years or so, worked with Mehanotehnika to improve moldings and drive trains. (The 'h' in

-technika is pronounced like the 'ch' in 'loch'.)

IHC bought the tooling for Pemco's 4-4-0 (later also used on a 2-6-0 chassis). At the time, this was the best plastic steam loco available. It started the (r)evolution that has resulted in brass-quality locomotives at much better than brass prices. (It's also raised the ante on brass locomotives, which are many time better than they were 40 years ago.)

Don't count IHC out yet. Just what will happen IMO will depend on how Mehanotehnika fares in its bankruptcy process. I would be only a little surprised to see IHC re-appear. In the meantime, buy up all the IHC locos you can find at your price point. ;-)

cheers, wolf k.

PS: I have a few IHC locos for sale, if you're interested e-mail me at noshomosu usual-a-in-a-circle sympatico li'l-round-spot ca.

Reply to
Wolf K

If they are down, I hope they can again, phoenix-like, rise again. Although some unfortunate things have happened on a few products, they were generally the best value for the money at MY price point, and often the only product available.

Jeff Cornelius

Reply to
Jeff in c-ville

On 1/12/2010 8:14 AM Jeff in c-ville spake thus:

I've mentioned their locos and rolling stock, along with others here, but I also have one of their structures which ain't at all bad for the price (I think it's the "Reagan Mansion", one of a set of 5 of townhouses). Not quite Design Preservation Models quality, but all in all, extremely good value.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Rivarossi went broke because their US importer reneged owing them something like US$13 million.

Prior to that their factory burned down, taking out almost all their molds. They recovered from that (insurance) and produced enough to lose the $13million.

Before that their US importer went broke - the Italian Govt. bailed them out that time.

It appears that Mehano have moved manufacturing to China.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

There has to be some sort of process of closing out the facilities and inventory. Does anyone in the vicinity know anything about it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff in c-ville