Layout Pics - Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth How-To

I finally got around to putting up some more pics of my new layout - including a How-To on creating mountains/hills with Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth.

The layout is quite bare bones right now. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it a lot this summer (or maybe even next week during the G8 Conference which is right here on St. Simons Island.)

Go to:

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:41:37 -0400, Mike Tennent purred:

For those cheapskates (like me) who find Woodland Scenic's price for the plaster cloth little short of robbery, go to any medical supply and get the medical version. It is the same thing but considerably cheaper. I use it to make hardshells for alginate molds, reinforcing for silicone molds, and tons of other use. It is not the cheapest thing going (plaster soaker gauze is lots cheaper but way messier and trickier to use) but it is cheaper than the WS product. buy it by the case for the best price. You will find you use a LOT more than you think you will, so be prepared.

cat

Reply to
cat

Mike=A0Tennent wrote: I finally got around to putting up some more pics of my new layout - including a How-To on creating mountains/hills with Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth. The layout is quite bare bones right now. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it a lot this summer (or maybe even next week during the G8 Conference which is right here on St. Simons Island.) Go to:

work, Mike. This should prove extremely valuable to anyone planning to use plaster cloth scenery.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

I am even more frugal than that. POP sells for $15.00CDN for 10KG (22lbs for approx. $11.00US) and used dryer sheets are free, my wife used to throw them out. The dryer sheets we use are 6"x9" and just as strong as the plaster cloth. A little dip and a little spread and there you go. Cheap and looks just a s good as the photos Mike provided.

Reply to
<Will

Dryer sheets? I hadn't heard of using those.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Maybe I'll put up an addendum that cheaper materials are available, but the methodology is the same.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Thanks for the post Mike, nice site. Your layout looks like it will turn out very nice- a lot of space for scenery and not a "spaghetti bowl" of track.

I will be using this method on my own layout now that it is approching the scenic stage.

-TG

Reply to
Tim Gill

Thanks, Tim. Yeah, it's purposely designed to be as "spacious" as possible. I like trains running through scenery (N scale's forte.)

It's actually a double loop and takes almost 2 minutes to run. Operationally, it'll be point to point, starting at the large staging yard and ending in small industrial area nearby.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent