Cloudy or milky Woodland Scenics Realistic Water?

Does anyone have experience with Woodland Scenics Realistic Water turning cloudy or milky as it sets? I think I've followed the instructions correctly, that is, pouring a shallow layer and letting it cure for the proper amount of time. But after two tries, the puddles I'm trying to create turn cloudy or milky on me. Is this stuff perhaps dissolving and drawing out the adhesives I'm using to hold the scenery elements in place (a mixture of Elmer's wood glue and water, or ACC)? Any thoughts about correcting, or fixing, or preventing this from happening?

Outgoing e-mail is automatically scanned for viruses.

Lynn Gobin

Zumbro Valley & Western

Lynn Gobin

Are you pouring multiple shallow layers in one puddle or is this multiple puddles?

I had a problem with an area I did that was multiple thin layers. Each layer I poured was thin and I let it dry a week in between the two layers but it turned cloudy. I wrote Woodland Scenics and they said I need to wait and let it all dry and it will "uncloud". It took almost a month.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Woolever

What is the ambient temperature in the room where you are working? How old is the stuff you are using? What is the relative humidity?

You can get a little gizmo that will tell you the temp. and relative humidity from Radio Shack for a couple of dollars. If you don't live in North America, you can still get one, I just don't know where or for how much.

CH

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

Temp: 72.8F; Rel. Hum.: 40% Age of product: less than two months off the shelf

Consensus on this group and others is that it might take quite a while to cure, but that it will clear up.

Reply to
Lynn Gobin

The first attempt was still cloudy after a full week. This attempt is just one layer no thicker than 1/8". It's only been a little more than 36 hrs after pouring a single two square inch puddle. Consensus on this group and others is that it might take quite a while to cure, but that it will clear up.

Reply to
Lynn Gobin

At our club, CNYMRRC, we only do water during the middle of the summer. It may be humid around here, >60% but the temp in the club house can get well above 90F during the week when nobody is around. That seems to 'cook' the water much faster and we get clear results. But the word around here is never even bother if the temp is below 70F and prefer to do it around 80F.

Reply to
Ken Cameron

Reply to
harrym

Yup, me too. Be patient. One of the epoxies I work with has a cure time of seven days at 70º F. Put it in an oven at 140º F and it cures in 25 minutes. I have a similar response from one of the acrylics also. Problem with the acrylic is that it stinks to holy hell when you put it in the oven. Phew! Clear the room.

CH

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

I have been using it with none of the problems you mention. My basement (unheated) has a temperature of 60 to 70 year round. I do run a de-humidifier in the summer. Are you using the one part or two part as WS makes both, I believe. I have been using only the one part in 1/16" layers instead of the 1/8".

Chuck Callaghan snipped-for-privacy@virginia.edu

Reply to
Charles Callaghan

hi ken ,i put some woodland scenic realistic water in my pond ,its been over a week now ,i did ues the woodland scenic paints on the bottem of the bed ,now its been 10 days and its milky ,in places,my layout is in my bedroom, can you help,regards john,

Reply to
bulldog57