Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth project

Hi all,

I finally started the scenery on my new N scale layout. The first project was to create a mountain using the Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth.

I've posted a step by step narrative with photos at:

I hope it'll be useful to folks just getting into scenery and they can profit from my experiment.

I like the plaster cloth, BTW. The project went quickly and I was happy with the results.

Mike Tennent

"IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting

Mike Tennent

Look forward to seeing more....

Reply to
Rob

When I cover an area with plaster cloth, I smooth over the whole thing as I add each piece. This lets me shape it to whatever final form I wish, and removes the holes that you mentioned in your article. It's kind of like what a doctor does when he adds pieces of plaster impregnated gauze to a cast. This way, I can avoid the sculptamold step if I wish and either stain the plaster cloth, or add rock castings. the diorama I created that is on my website was made this way.

Michael

Reply to
Michael E

Good point. I thought about doing that but decided that since I was going to add Scupta-Mold anyway, the holes would give it a little more "bite." I'll try your way on another section and see how it goes. Gotta buy some more before I can, though.

One thing I did notice is that the Scupta-mold seemed to dry faster than I'm accustomed to. I tend to make mine a little "soupier" than the directions indicate and it usually takes a full day to set up completely. This time it set up overnight. The extra air surface beneath may be a factor, the material itself, or both.

I went back in yesterday and added an ink wash to the stone cliff portion. I'm quite pleased with the result and will post some pics in a few days.