layouts

For those of you who sit home and wish they had a layout so they could run with the train, have a look at this,

I downloaded the demo, and though it was great fun, then paid only 29.95 for the whole program, it was great and they supply you 101 Linn Wescott track plans that you can download into the program. Just try the demo. Vic

Reply to
Vic Parsons

Too bad the Mac version is only "under development"...

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Yah but so is the mac hehehe...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Er, I think you meant Vista...

Reply to
Wolf

hehehe... touche' pussycat...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

I'm pretty tempted by this. I've had that 101 track plans book since I was a kid and I still look at it from time to time to fire my imagination. I never did get to build that big layout I always wanted. I came close but I built it in the basement, and it was apparently too dusty down there, and the maintenance got to be a pain so I got frustrated :(

It should be noted that for $29.95 you only get 10 plans out of the book. If you want all 101 it's $59.95, and if you want the TrackLayer too then it's $79.95. Quite a jump. It looks like there are some other free layouts you can download on there however, including some nice user layouts.

I downloaded the demo and I have to say this is the nicest program of this kind that I've seen so far, although I don't claim to be an expert. There are some limitations to running a railroad on a space the size of your monitor screen however, even if it does have a zoom and a follow the train feature.

Reply to
iarwain_8

Just to update, I did end up getting the version with all 101 track plans. I think it's a little expensive for what it does, but for me it was a no-brainer, I had to get it. Because that Wescott book is pretty legendary to me, I've spent so much time looking at it for ideas that each plan is like a long lost friend to me. So it's great to be able to run trains on them.

Funny thing is, some of the plans I was most fond of ended up being rather boring to operate, while some of the plans I dismissed as being too dull were the most fun to operate. Interesting. Makes you rethink what you really want in a layout.

Reply to
iarwain_8