Lionel's American Flyer Products

I understand that Lionel has been releasing new "S" gauge steam engines under the American Flyer brand. I recall reading that the
quality of Lionel's products has become highly suspect. Can anyone confirm or dispute the truth of that contention - particularly in regards to the new American Flyer locomotives?