locomotive vs mainframe computer

Take a look at this video by hp computers and what they did to a mainframe computer and back up storage... it was filmed in rention, washington USA at railway mueasum with a
locomotive.
see below for the link :)
http://h30423.www3.hp.com/index.jsp?fr_story fadb855193f4e2739a0b6214d58a9b81e04eb2
Brock Bailey snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca
Oh, the horror of it all.
Scratching the paint on that fine locomotive just to make a computer commercial!
Hello.
It's enough to make me buy Dell instead.
Got that, HP?
Pierre
Val wrote:

I don't see any mainframe computers in this vid.
Neil.
Neil O'Connor wrote:

True, you see a rack of servers.
But so what? It's a nutty ad anyhow.
cheers,
wolf k.

Totally nutty ad. If I ever get a HP EVA and set it up on the railway tracks, I will have to make sure my pickup truck is well serviced. :-)
So what? Just commenting on inaccurate assumptions - big box of technogizmos, oh that must be a mainframe!
Neil
Neil O'Connor wrote:

Nutty _and_ fun.... ;-)
wolf k.
Hi Neil,
That was a mainframe and it had back up storage at the top of each unit...both on the truck and trailer as well on the speeder tailer one..
Brock

Neil (and "Melanie" and "Stan") are right.
It's not a mainframe, it's a storage array. "EVA" means "Enterprise Virtual Array"
The alternating items above and below the laptop are controllers and disk banks. These "controllers" are not compute engines (a'la "mainframe") but rather the computers necessary to control the disks and present them to servers (or, if connected correctly, mainframes) as usable storage. That is, their processing power is totally committed to storage tasks. He's got a large number of controllers relative the the amount of storage. Perhaps because it's TurboTax or, more likely, because it was necessary to get the speed they wanted for the demonstration. Look here http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12745_na/12745_na.html lower right drawing, for a more typical configuration for a large capacity storage array.
Also, if interested, check out the Wikipedia entries on "mainframe" and "storage array."
Or ask an HP or EMC employee (or a former one, like me) if it's a "mainframe" or a "storage array." If you look up the Wiki entry you'll see EMC's CLARiiON. The CLARiiON is in direct competition with the HP EVA. I worked the CLARiiON, and we frequently discussed HP systems. I guarantee you they're both storage arrays, not a mainframes.
- Bill

Brock, This did give me a laugh. Thank you.
Billy V
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 15:04:39 -0700, "Brock Bailey"