Model railroad case settles Open Source licensing dispute

An appeals court has erased most of the doubt around Open Source licensing, permanently, in a decision that was extremely favorable toward projects like GNU, Creative Commons, Wikipedia, and Linux. Did such weighty questions come up in cases involving IBM, Sun, HP, or Red Hat? No, this is the quirky world of Free Software: it was a court case about model trains.

Read it all at

Old.Professor

To all of us who know, love, use, and contribute to JMRI, this is old, albeit excellent news. The CAFC's opinion was a resounding upholding and endorsement of Open Source licensing. You can read the Appeal Court's opinion here:

The sad part is that there are still other victories JMRI needs to win. More info on the entire JMRI legal defense here:

I would *strongly* encourage anyone who cares about freedom to innovate in the Model Railroading hobby, or Open Source software, to contribute to JMRI's defense (I have):

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert