OTish: Litytle Rascals in Railroadin

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:48:55 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Why, thank you David. Your lack of bandwidth eating reply is noted.

You too, mate. You too.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Someday Ray, you'll post something relevant - meanwhile, as usual you feel the need to put others down. You appear to have a very sad life.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ray, the only time I resort to profanity is in response to profanity.

Perhaps you don't even know you use profanity?

I rarely take things seriously, certainly not on this ng.

Perhaps it's a language problem between English and US speak?

I don't start religious or political discussions - it seems apparent that you yanks don't even realize when you make offensive political comments, although that seems hard to believe!

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 16:57:20 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Be careful. You just keep on losing these USENET points like this and when you go negative, your account shuts itself down.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:01:59 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Nonsense. Your mail to me would have boiled your grandmother alive.

Never have, never will. My USENET record is spotless.

Unless it's about America. Then you're dead serious. It's a carrot you can't resist. I mean not even a tiny bit.

Dalliances into hatred are a language issue? Who do you believe is buying that one, Greg? You tell some whoppers now and again but that one's got them all beat. You don't hate America. It's just different English is all.

Greg, you insert America and how bad it is into as many discussions as you can. Not content to allow two people to discuss the different types of screws available, you had to turn it into a "how stupid America is" rather than admit you simply didn't understand plain, simple mathematics.

And there you have your next carrot dangling in front of you. Leap, Greg. Leap. Your only question at this point should be, "How high?"

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I bow to your greater experience!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

How would that alter my statement?

You've scrubbed it clean?

I presume you're refering to the USa?

Perhaps you should stop doing it.

Only you.

Isn't that what I said, or are you getting tripped-up by the intricacies of this foreign (to you) language?

Why would I do that? Why would you imagine I do that? Do you have an inferiority complex about your adopted nation?

I commented on my own experiences and pointed out that the US has a different system of threads and dimensions to the other 95% of the world

- is that stupid or what?

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:55:08 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

I just KNEW you had a sense of humor in there somewhere, Greg. But I did lose a sizeable bet finding it. You die at dawn for that.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:02:29 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Yes. Absolutely.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

It's always a possibility! (5.54am) However, this cup of tea is bringing me alive right now.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You wouldn't find it annoying that the only decent equipment that suits your needs would have weird foreign threads?

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:58:50 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

As one of the largest producers of machined parts for the better part of 100 years, I'd suggest that it's far more weird to find a third world country not using them. Your 'kilometerage' may vary.

So, staying off topic . . . why does even NZ still use the term "mileage" when discussing a car's odometer in kilometers?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

You found someone in New Zealand who does that? Many of us grew up with Imperial measurements. The change-over to metrics was from 1974 but it wasn't instantanious. I still own a number of road vehicles with speedometers in miles. Many model engineers still stay with their imperial equipment because the investment in machine tools is considerable and many of them last more than a lifetime. However, I was not talking about Imperial measurements, because most US measurements are not the same as Imperial measurements.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:40:00 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Sure. Everyone. So do Australians. Ads on TV still promote "Low mileage vehicles."

But you said they never used miles in NZ. They must be left hand drive vehicles. Right?

They normally don't make small parts but buy them instead. Makes more sense. Need an imperial screw? Buy one. Need an imperial nut? Buy one. Easy.

Bzzzzt! You lose. Again.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

No, I never said that - we used British miles from 1808 until 1974 - my classic vehicles still do.

They must be left hand

There are very few left hand drive vehicles in NZ, they are exempt from conversion under some situations for the first importer and after they hit 20 years old.

"Buy one" isn't easy. I bought twenty UNF bolts over the counter from the local engineering shop for mounting material on the milling table. They took two weeks to arrive and cost just over $5- each. From the US I have to pay a host of additional costs and they take several week to get here. My last order with Sherline was 12/2/08 and there's still no sign of them. Your funny bolts and nuts are foreign.

Ounces, pounds, tons, pints, quarts, gallons, ... threads, miles per gallon, ...

All different, Ray - you just shot yourself in the foot!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:32:44 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Any 5th grader (year 5 to you) can figure it all out but the self proclaimed genius of rmr can't. What a surprise.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

So tell me Ray, (assuming you're at 5th grade level?) what is the difference between ounces and ounces, pounds and pounds, tons and tons, pints and pints, quarts and quarts, gallons and gallons, ... threads and threads, miles per

Just make sure you don't get the factors backwards - remembering the factors are to be in context.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:10:27 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

I don't need to pass a test to prove I understand conversion, Greg. But apparently, by your own admission, you do NOT understand conversions. Too confusing for you. No surprise there.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ok, so you can't do it - there's a surprise!

Of course I understand conversions. However, I find them irritating because they should be unneccessary and they introduce the possibility/probability of errors when numerous conversions are necessary. Things like NASA Mars shots where half the computer programmers worked in US dimensions and the other half in metrics.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:39:53 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

I convert all the time. Painless to me but a real headache to you apparently. I don't really have the patience to teach you to sing, Greg. Study harder when you repeat year 5 this time. Ok?

No, you can't possibly understand conversions. You complain about them all the time. The systems of measurement you complain about have been in existance longer than New Zealand has for heaven's sake. And you still can't come to grips with them? Get some help, Greg. Seriously.

But guess what? The conversions are in the programs in the computers. Your "Duhh" is noted. Nice sig for you.

Reply to
Ray Haddad