OTish: Litytle Rascals in Railroadin

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 11:43:52 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Lest you get the wrong idea, Greg, overall I like you. I even consider you a rather affable fellow for the most part. I blocked your mail from my e-mail box because you couldn't seem to resist the profanity and personal attacks by e-mail. That's a behavior, not a personal flaw. So, I can deal with the behavior by blocking your mail. Easy. Because I have blocked you there, I don't have to tolerate your profanity and anger in my mail box.
I can easily do the same thing here but you seem more able to temper your profane way of dealing with things here in public so I tolerate you here. I even poke fun at you mostly. I never, ever take things seriously here in RMR. Unfortunately, you demonstrate that you do take things seriously by the ferocity of your attacks on others here over issues that have nothing at all to do with railroading or model railroading. It's those dalliances into hatred that get you in trouble here, not your thoughts on the matter. Some things should be kept to yourself. Everyone has heard the old adage, "Never discuss religion or politics." Think about it. I'm sure you know why. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Ray, the only time I resort to profanity is in response to profanity.
Perhaps you don't even know you use profanity?

I rarely take things seriously, certainly not on this ng.

Perhaps it's a language problem between English and US speak?

I don't start religious or political discussions - it seems apparent that you yanks don't even realize when you make offensive political comments, although that seems hard to believe!

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:01:59 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Nonsense. Your mail to me would have boiled your grandmother alive.

Never have, never will. My USENET record is spotless.

Unless it's about America. Then you're dead serious. It's a carrot you can't resist. I mean not even a tiny bit.

Dalliances into hatred are a language issue? Who do you believe is buying that one, Greg? You tell some whoppers now and again but that one's got them all beat. You don't hate America. It's just different English is all.

Greg, you insert America and how bad it is into as many discussions as you can. Not content to allow two people to discuss the different types of screws available, you had to turn it into a "how stupid America is" rather than admit you simply didn't understand plain, simple mathematics.
And there you have your next carrot dangling in front of you. Leap, Greg. Leap. Your only question at this point should be, "How high?" -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

How would that alter my statement?

You've scrubbed it clean?

I presume you're refering to the USa?

Perhaps you should stop doing it.

Only you.

Isn't that what I said, or are you getting tripped-up by the intricacies of this foreign (to you) language?

Why would I do that? Why would you imagine I do that? Do you have an inferiority complex about your adopted nation?

I commented on my own experiences and pointed out that the US has a different system of threads and dimensions to the other 95% of the world - is that stupid or what?

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:02:29 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Yes. Absolutely. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

You wouldn't find it annoying that the only decent equipment that suits your needs would have weird foreign threads?
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:58:50 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

As one of the largest producers of machined parts for the better part of 100 years, I'd suggest that it's far more weird to find a third world country not using them. Your 'kilometerage' may vary.
So, staying off topic . . . why does even NZ still use the term "mileage" when discussing a car's odometer in kilometers? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

You found someone in New Zealand who does that? Many of us grew up with Imperial measurements. The change-over to metrics was from 1974 but it wasn't instantanious. I still own a number of road vehicles with speedometers in miles. Many model engineers still stay with their imperial equipment because the investment in machine tools is considerable and many of them last more than a lifetime. However, I was not talking about Imperial measurements, because most US measurements are not the same as Imperial measurements.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:40:00 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Sure. Everyone. So do Australians. Ads on TV still promote "Low mileage vehicles."

But you said they never used miles in NZ. They must be left hand drive vehicles. Right?

They normally don't make small parts but buy them instead. Makes more sense. Need an imperial screw? Buy one. Need an imperial nut? Buy one. Easy.

Bzzzzt! You lose. Again. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

No, I never said that - we used British miles from 1808 until 1974 - my classic vehicles still do.
They must be left hand

There are very few left hand drive vehicles in NZ, they are exempt from conversion under some situations for the first importer and after they hit 20 years old.

"Buy one" isn't easy. I bought twenty UNF bolts over the counter from the local engineering shop for mounting material on the milling table. They took two weeks to arrive and cost just over $5- each. From the US I have to pay a host of additional costs and they take several week to get here. My last order with Sherline was 12/2/08 and there's still no sign of them. Your funny bolts and nuts are foreign.

Ounces, pounds, tons, pints, quarts, gallons, ... threads, miles per gallon, ...
All different, Ray - you just shot yourself in the foot!
Regards, Greg.P.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:32:44 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Any 5th grader (year 5 to you) can figure it all out but the self proclaimed genius of rmr can't. What a surprise. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

So tell me Ray, (assuming you're at 5th grade level?) what is the difference between ounces and ounces, pounds and pounds, tons and tons, pints and pints, quarts and quarts, gallons and gallons, ... threads and threads, miles per

Just make sure you don't get the factors backwards - remembering the factors are to be in context.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:10:27 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I don't need to pass a test to prove I understand conversion, Greg. But apparently, by your own admission, you do NOT understand conversions. Too confusing for you. No surprise there. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Ok, so you can't do it - there's a surprise!

Of course I understand conversions. However, I find them irritating because they should be unneccessary and they introduce the possibility/probability of errors when numerous conversions are necessary. Things like NASA Mars shots where half the computer programmers worked in US dimensions and the other half in metrics. <Duhh>
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:39:53 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I convert all the time. Painless to me but a real headache to you apparently. I don't really have the patience to teach you to sing, Greg. Study harder when you repeat year 5 this time. Ok?

No, you can't possibly understand conversions. You complain about them all the time. The systems of measurement you complain about have been in existance longer than New Zealand has for heaven's sake. And you still can't come to grips with them? Get some help, Greg. Seriously.

But guess what? The conversions are in the programs in the computers. Your "Duhh" is noted. Nice sig for you.
--
Ray

"Just when I've thought you've said the stupidest thing ever,
Ray Haddad wrote:

If I didn't understand them they wouldn't be irritating.

You really can't be this thick, Ray. a- I haven't been around longer than New Zealand nor as long as the USa's measurements. b- Why would I become aware of the USa's non-standard measurement systems being non-standard when I was ten years of age? (year five) After all, you use the same measurement _terms_ for measurements which _are not_ the same as the internationally used "Imperial" measurements. From distant memory, the first inkling I had of that situation was in reading old US MR magazines which discussed modelling 55 gallon drums, a volume which, AFAIK did not exist in New Zealand. c- why would you stupidly imagine I haven't come to grips with them? d- The important point; you use the same terms as Imperial measurements without bothering to define _which_ measurements youare refering to.

Obviously you don't understand computer programming - just another area of your extreme ignorance.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:48:44 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Shut up, Greg. You're just a dodo. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I take that as your capitulation.
Regards, Greg.P.

Greg is off his meds again. I went back through the thread. He is really into his delusion today. I doubt that he can find the "arrogant political" comment that set him off. I often wonder if Greg is one person, he can jump from view to opposing view without hesitation. Perhaps he is involving the other inmates in some self directed group therapy?
Paul

Baaaaa-humbug.
-Pete