OTish: Litytle Rascals in Railroadin

For me it was the PRSL lines and especially Winslow Jct! Later it was Reading yard but now i do it legally - i'm a Renzenberger driver!..

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

See... you all miss the point, that or I'm just a bit pessimistic . You "played". You didn't destroy, you didn't vandalize, you played. Just seems like kids in those days (me too, I lived 5 blocks and a small 'woods' away from a major train yard in D.C.) were just having fun, but were respectful. Or maybe that is fearful of punishment.

Either way, the older ones of us in this group grew up somehow when, according to current guidelines, we should be dead.

Don't mean to inflame, I'm saying this with a bit of humor. You can't see me laughing at that video and remembering the fun of coming close to trains and watching the 'big boys' play with them and wanting to do it too. It was like having my own train set next to the house. Probably why I'm building one in the basement now!!!

Reply to
no_name

"no_name" wrote

True. But vandalism isn't the main reason you can't play in railroad yards these days:

(A) Is the change in liability law that's taken place since we were kids, and how many people now seek to get rich quick by suing the closest "deep pockets" corporation.

(B) Is the vastly increased population pressure that would no doubt see

*dozens* of kids playing in railyards -and getting in the way- if they could only get away with it.

(C) Is 9/11 and the heavy security that's evolved since as an anti-terrorist precaution.

Different times, different world.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

"Greg Procter" wrote

P. Roehling

You've been reading/watching/listening to too much yank propaganda. Bin Laden is on your side.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Great site, PR!

I must make a few of these AFDBs, You Never Know When You'll Need One!

And of course I want to protect my friends!

Now that I think of it, I'd better get on the blower to the Emergency Response Co-ordinator, everyone in town might need one!

Good grief, everyone in the country might need one!

Omigawd babble babble babble babble.....

Reply to
Wolf K.

Wolk K in one of his more lucid moments!

Reply to
Greg Procter

For once, I have to agree with you. He sounds like he's been to too many meetings with those Larouchey and Libertarian conspiracy freaks that say

9/11 was done by the US and Israeli governments. Or maybe it's just a sheep-borne STD . . .
Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve, try applying a little logic to the situation.

- Yanks generally are nice people.

- Bin Laden has been proven to be an intelligent person, in particular with regards to war against USSR occupation forces in Afghanistan, in his ability to unify people and in his efforts to better the situation of his own people.

He has demonstrated that he is only concerned with his own people.

So why would Ben Laden attack the USa and US people in the USa?

Try reaching a sensible conclusion - the US propaganda story that he is mad/insane doesn't wash.

Regards, Greg.P>

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Steve Caple" wrote

Baaaaa-humbug.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

"Greg Procter" wrote

P. Roehling

The point I was making is that it's your (yank) conspiracy theory. Just because something like 300 million yanks fall for it doesn't make it any less a conspiracy theory. All you have to do is think through the situation and you'll recognise you've been fed a load of ... I'm not claiming to know the real story, but I am claiming to recognise a load of BS.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

P. Roehling

I see, you think I'm obsessive-compulsive because I point out that yank reality isn't. Do I slaughter innocent peasants? Do I invade nations?

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Steve Caple" wrote

On further thought, that line deserves a serious reply.

Steve, I don't expect you -or anyone else- to agree with me on anything, including model railroads. Unity isn't part of the Usenet deal, and besides; arguing reasonably politely with people who have differing viewpoints can often teach both parties something.

But there are people like you; who have differing opinions but who realize that their opinions are just that; and there are people who can't cope with anyone or anything that's different from themselves, and who automatically go on the attack whenever they perceive anything "different". These people are called "xenophobes", and whether they're left-wing nuts, right-wing nuts, racists, homophobes, or just plain old a-political wingnuts, you'll find them in every newsgroup to one extent or the other.

You can't deal very well with a xenophobe, because there's no wiggle-room in his philosophy at all, and to him, the word "compromise" is spelled "defeat". Everything is either black or white. No grays allowed. (Clue: when you see threads that are a hundred posts long, it's often two xenophobes who both insist on having the last word. They equate that with "winning".)

I'm sure that a few names pop to mind when you picture these folks, because you've been around here longer than I, but I hope you don't think that I picture you as being one of them.

You've always been reasonably civil, you seem both knowledgeable and flexible, and if thee and I don't see eye-to-eye on something it isn't any reason to bring out the big guns.

I've learned a few things from you, I hope I've given you a little food for thought here and there, and you're one of the few regular posters here whose deathless prose I always make it a point to read.

Pax?

Reply to
P. Roehling

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:41:33 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Just newsgroups.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

"Ray Haddad" wrote

Well, he's a small unimportant man from a small unimportant country.

But he's doing the best that he can with what he's got.

Reply to
P. Roehling

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 21:09:08 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "P. Roehling" instead replied:

Sure. He wears his aluminum deflector beanie at a jaunty angle during the invasion riding on his garden scale tinplate.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

P. Roehling wrote: [...]

The column is titled Eek!, if the above link doesn't take your there directly.

Enjoy!

Reply to
Wolf K.

"It can be difficult to distinguish the true PTM from the merely conscienceless without talking to them. Still, Curtis LeMay was a prime example, perfectly willing to burn a hundred thousand civilians alive in a night. Ariel Sharon fits. So do a lot of the neocons who run the US. And so America, with no military enemies, raises the military budget relentlessly and finds ways to use it. Fairly few in the military are PTMs, but the Pentagon embraces them to justify get more money, and the weapons contractors milk them like cows. Hey, scare the public, take up a collection, and blow hell out of the demons twisting in the inner shadow."

Reply to
Steve Caple