OTish: Litytle Rascals in Railroadin

On further thought, that line deserves a serious reply.
Steve, I don't expect you -or anyone else- to agree with me on anything, including model railroads. Unity isn't part of the Usenet deal, and besides; arguing reasonably politely with people who have differing viewpoints can often teach both parties something.
But there are people like you; who have differing opinions but who realize that their opinions are just that; and there are people who can't cope with anyone or anything that's different from themselves, and who automatically go on the attack whenever they perceive anything "different". These people are called "xenophobes", and whether they're left-wing nuts, right-wing nuts, racists, homophobes, or just plain old a-political wingnuts, you'll find them in every newsgroup to one extent or the other.
You can't deal very well with a xenophobe, because there's no wiggle-room in his philosophy at all, and to him, the word "compromise" is spelled "defeat". Everything is either black or white. No grays allowed. (Clue: when you see threads that are a hundred posts long, it's often two xenophobes who both insist on having the last word. They equate that with "winning".)
I'm sure that a few names pop to mind when you picture these folks, because you've been around here longer than I, but I hope you don't think that I picture you as being one of them.
You've always been reasonably civil, you seem both knowledgeable and flexible, and if thee and I don't see eye-to-eye on something it isn't any reason to bring out the big guns.
I've learned a few things from you, I hope I've given you a little food for thought here and there, and you're one of the few regular posters here whose deathless prose I always make it a point to read.
Pax?
P. Roehling wrote: [...]

http://www.fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Column.htm
The column is titled Eek!, if the above link doesn't take your there directly.
Enjoy!
--
wolf k.

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:33:39 -0500, Wolf K. wrote:

"It can be difficult to distinguish the true PTM from the merely conscienceless without talking to them. Still, Curtis LeMay was a prime example, perfectly willing to burn a hundred thousand civilians alive in a night. Ariel Sharon fits. So do a lot of the neocons who run the US. And so America, with no military enemies, raises the military budget relentlessly and finds ways to use it. Fairly few in the military are PTMs, but the Pentagon embraces them to justify get more money, and the weapons contractors milk them like cows. Hey, scare the public, take up a collection, and blow hell out of the demons twisting in the inner shadow."
--
Steve