Patents

Found the following to be of interest;
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9225821 /
This is taken from the article;
Software patents are clearly a menace to society and innovation. We like
this to be more explicit, Greve said. The idea is that if someone uses software patents against free software, that company or person loses the right to distribute that particular program and use it in their product, he added."

It must be pointed out that the "Greve" which you referenced is the president of the Free Software Foundation Europe. That kinds of sets the stage for what is background is, and what qualifications he has to speak about U.S. patents. Just about zilch.

and Jon are thinking of?< There are some layered patents out there. I know of one that's 7 layers but will not discuss it in public for many reasons. These are patents that if you go to court to get rid of the first layer all the rest remain. They are designed by people with lots of money (read to pay lawyers) because they probably know that there is prior art but it cost so much to get rid of it (7 times in court with associated costs) that no one fights them especially if you are dealing with very small manufactures or sellers. Most can't even afford to go to court the first time let alone 7 times. Kind of similar to UP (although this is not a patent situation). No one they pick on can afford the court costs and if they could then UP would settle on the court house steps to avoid the precedence. I think it's called "litigating to death" any smaller legitimate competition.

Go to http://www.uspto.gov click on the Patents: Search link and look up the following patents.
4,666,425 Device for perfusing an animal head 6,485,773 you'll laught at this one 5,020,411 see drawing #216 6,368,227 method of swinging sideways 6,360,693 plastic stick 1,749,090 using a skeleton to scare out a confession 6,004,596 crustless PBJ sandwich

Yeah, most of those make me laugh (especially 6,485,773)...
Ken Rice wrote:

US Patent Number 6,485,773: Semen Taste Enhancement Dietary Supplement.
Drives women wild, no doubt.
On 8 Feb 2006 06:47:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nyx.net wrote:

Karl Rove, too.
--